I recently acquired a 580 super E. I am working my way through the problems one at a time. The biggest problem right now is that the right swing is tediously slow. It snaps to attention and reacts as it should if I pull another control (the extension for instance) to the limit on the relief valve. thanks, robert
Until a case expert chimes in, sounds like the swing has a leak in the load sense circuit not stroking the pump up. I don’t have access to case hydraulic schematics but I’d say there’s a ball resolver leaking or orings blown in the control valve. Someone else will probably get in on this shortly.
I had many years working on those machines, if it is a foot swing the pedals can bottom before the spool fully strokes, Make sure nothing is restricting the pedal movement from going as far as it can without hitting bottom, if it hits bottom remove the shrouding from the console and readjust the clevises so the pedals stand up straighter and make sure the spool fully strokes. if it is hand swing check for full spool stroke there also. If the spool is stroking fully then I would remove the secondary relief valves and the check valves under them and replace the o rings on both. In my opinion what is happening is that the spool is only partially opening the work port, when another system is bottomed the pressure builds back and pressurizes the partially opened spool so it works as it should. I am fairly certain it is a linkage issue, I have dealt with this issue many times, Keep us posted, ahart, The 580 SE is a simple open center system so there is none of the real complicated sensing stuff as the newer models have, the 580 SE was and is real great machine. I was skeptical when the pilot control Cases came out but they have been very trouble free and with a little tweaking are a real beast in the ditch. When I pre delivered my hoes I did a complete flow test on every function and logged it for future reference. Baled me out a couple times when customers complained, got them right there and did another comprehensive flow test and showed them before sale and then ,I actually had one unit test better than the original test
I knew an expert would be along. Thanks for taking over. After looking at the spec sheet on these, This is definitely a much older machine than I originally thought.
Thanks, I will check the linkages this weekend and report back. We bought a place with lots of old equipment and I am having quite a time trying to get things serviced and serviceable. Lots and lots of little things plus any time you use something remedial problems show up. Probably could keep a mechanic busy full time for a number of months. This was supposed to be retirement project, but I am still working so repairs are relegated to the weekend and some evenings. How hard should I have to hit the brakes be to stop this machine? I have to really stand on them. On the deere farm tractor, the dozer, and the dump truck, and the quad,,, none of the brakes worked at all when we took over!
580K has a sequencing valve to prevent crashing at the limit of swing. This symptom is typical of a rusty detent ball, rusty spring, of maladjustment.
Robert ; I have the service manual for your 580SE if you need it. There is an old thread and the sequencing linkage was discussed extensively in it.
Sequencing valves were not used on the SE, linkage or O ring problems are the two areas of concern, Yes the Ks and Sks could have uneven swing situations , bad cam follower roller, cam bolt and spacer missing can allow the cam to not rotate properly with the tower, been down that road many times in my 50 Yrs.
I went brain dead again ! It happens a lot after 79th bday.
At least your a year away from "old fart"!!!!
Before we had computers, we had engineers desperately needing to make machines far too complex to use, and utterly too complex to repair. Back then we had hydraulic engineers. They dreamed up the sequencing valve. It receives the oil pressure from the swing valve and based on a complex linkage prone to wear, it limits flow at the end of a swing. I don't even know if your model has it. Mine was of similar vintage, but I believe built on a different continent. Mine had it. The fix for mine was a few parts, some O rings, a spring & a detent ball.
I adjusted the linkages and it is good now. When I adjusted them up, it changed the characteristics of the pedals. When you push down on one pedal it raises the opposite pedal. With it adjusted as such, I can't believe how much more responsive and easier it is to use the machine. I also found a bunch of grease fittings behind the panel that make the controls a lot smoother. thanks again robert
Glad that is all it was, been there done that many times, Mel