I need some slack in my tracks. I removed the zerk fitting behind the idler wheel and stuck a chunk of 6x6 between the bucket and idler and rolled back but the idler won't budge. Any ideas on how to get some slack in this chain so I can reinstall the master pin? There are no trees or other equipment around me neither.
In this track loader forum, page two, see the thread, "Cat 951-C in my sights". On page 19 of that thread you will find pictures of how I pushed my idler back. I used the porta power and also had to give the idler a rap with the old sledge while I had it under pressure to jolt the first movement. The push needs to be in a straight line so as not to cause the idler to bind up and not travel rearwards. Good luck!
If you just screwed the grease fitting out of the top and not used a 3/4 deep socket to turn the grease check valve about two turns, you will not be able to relief the grease in the adjuster. You must put the grease fitting back before loosening the check valve and be careful of grease coming out under pressure from the cylinder. The check has a one way, grease can be pumped in, but the taper on the end seals the relief slot cut up the side until it's loosened to let grease out.
Thank you!1 that was some of the information I was looking for!! Thank you very much for your help! I actually took the morning off today to work on it. I will do that first thing1
Sheepfoot wrote exactly what I was thinking. I take the whole unit out when working on tracks, just taking the zerk out may not do anything. Even if it did it would seem to me it would be a very slow process(??)