Hey fellas, had a quick question about backing up a 4 axle lowboy with a single axle jeep. My question is, is there a secret to it or is it one of those things you just have to figure out or try to avoid if possible? Thanks in advanced fellas.
Just do it. Same as backing a gravity box, an anhydrous tank, or a dolly-type pup behind a tandem. Just have to be patient and not oversteer.
A jeep backups up like any other trailer. Sorry just poking fun. If you never backed up a hay wagon or a gravity wagon, you are in for a treat. Lots of practice is all I can offer on this one. I have been playing with tongue wagons for years and I get a little better at it every year, but I don't do it for a living either!
A two hundred inch wheel base on the tractor is not your friend either. The shorter the tractor the easier it is, but still dang diffucult if you need to back very far. Practice, practice, practice and look ahead to avoid as many of them situations as you can. My closest neighbor transfers truck from CA to MN for an outfit. When pulling three with the fronts riding on the one ahead he looks for his prking spots and motels carefully. Not fun at all when you can't pull out forward.
More than once I've cross chained the rear of a jeep to the deck of the main to get out of a tight spot... EMPTY only.
If worse comes to worse, remove the jeep and back the trailer.
That will only be an option if you can still pull forward...... Sorry, couldn't resist.
LOL.....the replies bring back memories. Local farmer had a worker that could back up 2 wagons better than most can back up a car.... Ed