Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Here’s a sure way to kill your career

RollOver Pete ยท 2016-05-20 12:52

Syncope....sudden loss of consciousness. My commercial license is gone for 5 years and I lost my job. On the bright side, I'm still alive. This is dash cam footage of my accident. https://youtu.be/phnPNufAFgI

Replies31
  1. #1redneckracin2016-05-20 13:42

    wow thats scary as hell. Hopefully they can find out what is wrong with you. I hope you're allright as well.

  2. #2Trashman2016-05-20 15:25

    Wow......hopefully you can make a speedy and full recovery.

  3. #3mitch5042016-05-20 20:40

    Man, I hate that for you. I'm sure glad you didn't veer left a little earlier and go off the overpass, or go head on with that car and kill somebody else. Do you know what caused it? Can they keep it from happening again? Did you get hurt bad in the wreck? I'm sure you'll be able to get another job with your operating and repair experience. It's nice being an operator with a CDL, but keep in mind, most operators don't, and they still work. BTW, How is your daughter doing? Keep your chin up, we're all pulling for you. Keep us posted, Mitch

  4. #4td25c2016-05-20 21:00

    Ditto what Mitch said . Our thought's & prayers are with you & family Pete .

  5. #5Scrub Puller2016-05-20 21:17

    Yair . . . RollOver Pete. All the best from down under, man that was scary . . . trust the medicos can find and alleviate the problem. Cheers.

  6. #6lantraxco2016-05-20 22:49

    Without knowing anything at all I would put first money on prescription meds cause over a sudden health issue, but then I'm paranoid about the medical/pharma conglomerate.

  7. #7fast_st2016-05-21 06:23

    Glad you're okay, holy cow what an experience! Did you wake up in the ditch? Good news I suppose you weren't in all that heavy traffic and that one guy got out of the way.

  8. #851cub2016-05-21 06:59

    I too, hope for a fast, and full recovery. Expect a couple of pretty weird tests if you didn't get them already. If nobody comes up with anything, or if they start treating you, but you still don't feel right, get checked for Lyme Disease. BIG BUT here, make sure they do the Western Blot test, or they won't find it. It's a whole new world to find out everything that a little bug like a tick can do to a body

  9. #9digger242j2016-05-21 09:13

    I can't add much to what's already been said, except to throw in my own personal wishes that you get to the root of that and get it sorted out.

  10. #10old-iron-habit2016-05-21 10:28

    Ditto what everyone else said Pete. Thank God it was not worse and you are around to find out and correct the problem.

  11. #11seatwarmer2016-05-21 10:39

    Check your sugar, happened to me before I knew I'm diabetic.

  12. #12Wytruckwrench2016-05-21 10:53

    So sorry to hear of that. You are in our thoughts and prayers. Hang in there and keep your chin up.

  13. #13wilko2016-05-21 11:44

    It sounded like you were yawning and fighting sleepiness a few times. What was the lead up to going unconscious? Like when you stand up too fast? Tunnel vision? Or just boom and wake up in the ambulance? Hope they find a cause, maybe then you can get the cdl back sooner.

  14. #14heavyhaulskip2016-05-21 15:00

    Holy **** man, im glad you are ok. That is some crazy ****. Thankfully no one else got hurt.

  15. #15JDOFMEMI2016-05-22 15:11

    Pete That is scary, and especially for me since I know we share a lot of the same work habits. Please keep us updated on the diagnosis, if you feel comfortable doing so. You are lucky that it happened on a slow, quiet road, not at speed on a busy highway< but I am sure you know that already. Best wishes for a full recovery. If there is anything I can do to help, feel free to reach out to me.

  16. #16Buckethead2016-05-22 22:13

    Thank God you survived to tell the story. Get better soon.

  17. #17grandpa2016-05-24 21:08

    By god your handle fits anyhoo.

  18. #18simonsrplant2016-05-25 01:36

    Hope you get fixed up livo

  19. #19JNB2016-10-28 20:53

    Any updates Pete? Just wondering how things are working out for you.

  20. #20wilko2016-10-30 19:18

    I've wondered the same thing.

  21. #21Willie B2016-10-30 19:30

    I'm not a doctor. I had a couple rounds of scaring myself awake. I ruined a tire, and wheel on a curve, but no major wreck. A couple ventures into nasal surgery, and an experimental procedure to leather up my soft pallet have got me sleeping at night, instead of on the road. Maybe you need CPAP, but you will get sleep. Maybe it'll be at night, maybe in day, maybe forever. You get to choose. Find a good doctor, get yourself fixed. Willie

  22. #22IronworkerFXR2016-11-03 23:04

    Dam,, Hope things are working out for you, prayers that they are

  23. #23RollOver Pete2019-01-05 03:24

    What a long strange trip its been. Oh..where to start... My commercial license ......gone. My non commercial license.....was gone. i finally got it back after 2 years. Now...think for a minute...how in the hell is one supposed to survive if you cant legally drive to and from work? By selling drugs? Selling your body? Selling someone else's body ? How about stealing, robbing, anything to make a damned buck? I certainly learned a lot in the 3 months that I sat home on my ass. I learned that this system is designed to keep you down when you fall. Workmans comp....denied. Unemployment, what a damned joke that is. Finding a job without a drivers license, full of anger, depressed and pissed off....yeah right. But most importantly, I learned to never, ever be truthful when it comes to any government run office.. especially the DMV. I'll look them in the eye and lie right to their face from now on. Being honest with those a holes only ended up turning a once honest man into a criminal. The horse crap the DMV put me thru changed my entire outlook on the law, on society and on life. Its a real long story and the more I think about it, the angrier I get. I'll save it for another time. It's nothing short of a miracle that I was able to hold on to the house and keep the wife. Why she has tolerated me, put up with me and stuck right here by my side....I'll never know. Take away a workaholics ability to work , what do you expect? Yeah, with my pissed off attitude....it was that bad. Anyways, I'm still alive and kicking. Work now is just that....work. it's not fun like it used to be. It's a job...and only a job. Now don't get me wrong. I'm thankful for this job, for the little that I have, for the roof over our heads. But mostly, I'm thankful for my wife. If not for her, I'd likely be 6 ft. under. Well folks... thanks for the thoughts and prayers. I'll post more of this drama soon.

  24. #24kshansen2019-01-05 09:02

    Pete, if you need someplace to vent let it rip here and if it is too much for the open forum we could always move it over to a private conversation mode. As I understand it there can be several people included in one of those so you could invite and let in just those who you want to join. Sounds like you have a very good wife, so just say thanks once in a while!

  25. #25wilko2019-01-05 09:28

    It's good to hear from you. A guy I work with has learned the same lesson on being truthful with bureaucracies, in his case especially workman's comp. They're out to screw you. You never found a cause for blacking out? Anyway, hang in there.

  26. #26Tynman2019-01-05 23:35

    WOW good thing your alright. One day at a time. Thats all we can do.

  27. #27terex herder2019-01-15 09:09

    Another reminder who we marry is often the most important single decision we make in our lives with respect to our health, happiness, and wealth. ROP, keep your attitude good. I'm rooting for your success!

  28. #28fast_st2019-01-15 09:25

    Keep on rollin in the right direction! yeah, there's information the government doesn't need to know, more times than not.

  29. #298V149 Detroit2019-01-16 11:23

    Sad to see these things happen to people who didn't deserve them, also sad to see a person that wants to work but can't find it. Nowadays pretty much anything government related is trash, people that need help can't get it, but the ones that don't need it can get it really easy for some reason. Hope you get better

  30. #30DMiller2019-08-24 13:42

    Damn Son, never heard of Syncope, evil. Hope the Luck monster has had enough of feeding your bad side and better swings your way.

  31. #31fast_st2019-08-24 17:41

    Pete, I'll hang onto your sage advise and hope I never need it! Keep moving forward, count the small victories!