Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Backing up with drop down axles

PeterG ยท 2024-04-04 15:01

Just curious. On my Kenworth T-800 I have a drop down steerable axle. Of course you can't back up when it's down, and in fact putting the truck in reverse automatically raises it. So my question is if you have drop down axle or axles that are not steerable, can you back up with them down. The idea being you would be less likely to get stuck or do damage in soft surfaces.

Replies13
  1. #1skyking12024-04-04 15:48

    A

  2. #2Truck Shop2024-04-04 17:24

    B, C & D.

  3. #3PeterG2024-04-04 18:01

    Thanks for replying. Don't understand your answer though.

  4. #4Truck Shop2024-04-04 18:21

    Do you understand Sky's?

  5. #5Acoals2024-04-04 18:23

    I have an old truck with a fixed tag. There is nothing to stop me from backing up with it down. I suppose if you were going in a straight line and were worried about blacktop on a driveway it might not hurt. As far as not getting stuck it won't help, just takes weight off the drives and adds more non powered resistance.

  6. #6Truck Shop2024-04-04 18:32

    Correct--it's why when icy it's time to lift the drop increase steering and traction.

  7. #7PeterG2024-04-04 19:06

    For some reason I do not see the answer from Sky. There was a response from him, but it was blank. Now it's gone. If I'm going forward, and the ground is soft, should I raise the drop axle, or leaving it down? We have some dump sites that are off road and get soft. Usually I raise the axle as I'm entering the site loaded. Or should I just leave it down until I get ready to put it in reverse. After I get loaded, I don't put the axle down until I get closer back to the asphalt.

  8. #8Truck Shop2024-04-04 19:17

    If it's real soft it's not going to take much away from the drives, help the steer some. It just depends on soil condition as to what you do, as driver it's your decision. Once the ground starts pumping it's every axle for it's self.

  9. #9skyking12024-04-04 19:20

    I had a big long post and decided to delete it in the forum has to have something in there so I typed the letter. A. I was up in Canada so it seemed appropriate. A

  10. #10Truck Shop2024-04-04 19:50

    It's my reason for 111. A

  11. #11PeterG2024-04-04 20:17

    Sorry, how do I not Ignore Skyking1?

  12. #12Acoals2024-04-04 20:32

    I leave the axle up off road, no reason to bang the axle up in the dirt. If the truck is going to get stuck the tag probably isn't going to help much.

  13. #13MG842024-04-04 20:48

    Can't say on dump trucks, but I know on grain trucks I've driven the drop axle is 100% a hindrance when you get off the pavement. Lift it as high as it will go. Some of the old single axles that had a 'cheater axle' were even worse (suspension pushes down more as it's loaded.) Get somewhere slick with one of those, or try to cross a ditch and you're stuck.