Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bad air line

Old Doug ยท 2020-08-01 19:34

Were i work they have a Peterbilt that was bought new its steal under waranty along with the other problems it has it will not hold air very long i found this line it hasnt been aginst any thing just poorly made.

Replies20
  1. #1Birken Vogt2020-08-01 19:46

    When I worked at the fire department some people wanted me to find every leak on a truck so it would hold air overnight, for days, or whatever. Had a hard time explaining to them the thousands of points where air could leak and even if you fix them all, next week it would be something new. All stations had compressors, hook it up to air from the wall but then you have to remember to unplug it before racing out the door. Most of them would hold some air for a day or two anyway.

  2. #2Old Doug2020-08-01 20:06

    The truck this one replaced i worked on it fixing leaks till it would hold over the weekend. This new truck is getting to were it will not hold but a couple hours. I bought a air brake truck to replace one with hyd brakes i never thought about haveing to wait on air. I hope to get it were it will last 4 hours. The quick couplers are a big problem.

  3. #3Truck Shop2020-08-01 21:05

    When I worked for the Ag company they had a 1984 GMC Brigadier with a 3208 single axle farm fuel delivery truck and only used as a spare. No kidding that truck would set for six months at a time and still would have 90 psi plenty to release the brakes.

  4. #4Old Doug2020-08-01 22:19

    We bought some cabovers from Rainbow Bread they were Fords and IHs. One i was told was a glider that came to be after a new truck was wrecked they put it together them self. This truck had 318 it was the cleanest Detroit i ever saw it didnt leak any were very little oil out the tubes. It would hold air for over 30 days. I thought the buzzer didnt work at first.

  5. #5colson042020-08-02 18:57

    I consider myself fortunate. My single axle dump will hold over 60psi air for 2-3 days. My grandpa has 6 trucks with air brakes, and I think only one will have any air in it the next day. The Mack I usually drive will bleed off in an hour if I shut it down during the day. Come back from lunch brake and I'm the only one waiting to build air before heading out for another load.

  6. #6Pony2020-08-04 17:18

    Is it a climate thing? I'm in Australia and have 2 single axle trucks with full air brakes. Both will sit for months with full air.

  7. #7Truck Shop2020-08-04 18:44

    Can be dry where I live, moisture and oil are the two killer of a brake system, along with airline antifreeze/alcohol. Which I just ordered 60 air dryer spin-on cartridges this morning, I replace them every fall.

  8. #8Old Doug2020-08-04 18:53

    Do the trucks that hold have quickleak connectors? They came out with the sharkbites for pluming i would never use them they look to be alot like the connectors on trucks.

  9. #9Truck Shop2020-08-04 21:27

    Push Lock fittings, pretty much all the manufactures use anymore. Just don't install a hose in a push lock that is a little short on length-over time it will leak. There can be no stress on the fitting.

  10. #10colson042020-08-31 14:11

    Haven't run the truck since Friday morning, came back this afternoon to see it held about 90 psi still. No complaints from me given my truck is 26 years old. Note- The fuel tank isn't full, the fuel gauge just doesn't work.

  11. #11crane operator2020-08-31 17:53

    The stupid dashes in that era international never work right. I think my air/ oil pressure and maybe water temp work- partially. Forget the tach or speedometer - they only occasionally sweep around. My one old 25 ton crane won't hold air pressure over lunch, let alone overnight.

  12. #12Old Doug2020-10-28 22:00

    I have been putting a electric trailer brake control in my truck and while its in the shop fixing a dozen other small things i also am trying to stop some air leaks . I was working under and in the dash there is not alot of room i had a brain storm get rid of the ash tray along with its brackets. This will free up some room all i will have to do is seperate the ash tray door from ash tray and reattach it without it looking like a cobbled up mess.

  13. #13westerner2020-10-28 23:05

    I had 20 some odd Mack trucks, in three groups. One from 2002, (4 trucks), 2004, (8 trucks), and the last from 2006, (8 trucks). They still run them all. They have all had "air" work of one sort or another. There are two trucks that will hold air forever, and probably 10 that will not hold over lunch. I have no idea, and ain't chasing it down either.

  14. #14petepilot2020-10-28 23:47

    like that thought` hell with em let em leak

  15. #15Shimmy12020-10-28 23:57

    Though you said you drive a Mack??

  16. #16Old Doug2020-10-29 19:05

    There is a time to worry about a leak then theres a time not to. My personal truck will have a winch and ginpoles i would like not having to build air to move it after it seats a hour or 2. If after 4 hours it would have air to release the brakes that would be great.A truck that you get in and drive from here to there is one thing but if you move it around all day long and never go any were its a pain to set run the engine before you can move.

  17. #17colson042020-10-29 20:42

    I own a single axle International dump truck. My grandfather has a fleet of trucks for hauling grain and forage. When we chop silage, I usually drive a Mack CH613 for him. That was the Mack I was referencing.

  18. #18DMiller2020-10-30 08:00

    Have played the game of soaping EVERY DAMN fitting on trucks that were repeatedly tagged by DOT for excessive air leakage. Got one to hold 90# up to four days, guy thought it was great until received the bill, FIVE Hours of rolling around under and across the mess of loose fittings bad compression sleeves(Usually without internal reinforcement tubes) and obvious air valves gone bad. Was then upset as chambers began leaking and DOT did not accept frame to chamber air line scuffing where I "Should have caught that before they did". He did pay all his bills just griped a lot.

  19. #19Old Doug2020-10-30 12:33

    I have fixed at least 20 small leaks so far. I think 1 or 2 were bad were you could hear them. I havent tested it after the last round of work. One way or the other i am going to start useing it next week. I may rig up a hose from the shop to use when i am using it around the farm.

  20. #20Old Doug2020-12-03 17:04

    I found a leak from a R14 valve on my truck in order to replace it i had to take the air lines lose from the mount on the rear axle. I was thinking a hour at most but i found the studs to the bracket that goes through the 3rd member are broke off. I tryed a easy out but didnt want to drill all the way through and let shaveings fall down in the rear end so i welded; The short one was in deep and took 2 trys