Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bad Business Second Day Of Work

King of Obsolete · 2007-04-23 12:29

we had to do a drill move yesterday after a night of beverage. xena bolted on the grill guard and off we went. of course the skid steer found another soft spot which BAD BUSINESS pulled it with no problem. we moved the drill and xena rode the drill as a spotter since the trail is narrow in spots. it was a good 18 hour day in the bush for BAD BUSINESS, with the money made, new paint might be in order. thansk

Replies60
  1. #1thejdman042007-04-23 13:07

    That skid is nice and stuck

  2. #2Lashlander2007-04-23 19:37

    Thats the trick, make it pay its own way!:thumbsup

  3. #3King of Obsolete2007-04-23 19:43

    having trouble posting pictures, but this will tie you over, LOL http://kingofobsolete.ca/TD-9_BAD_BUSINESS_WEBPAGE.htm thansk

  4. #4Dozer5752007-04-24 00:27

    Hey King, where in Alaska is that? Really a nice place. I'm suprized you get to drive around like that with out the enviro nuts complaining. It must be near your own land. How many acres? And how much is land there?

  5. #5scott janisch2007-04-24 02:59

    I love your attitude and your website. Making money is good but I find it much more satisfying that your antique and obsolete can still save the day. I grew up riding around with my Dad on his AC HD9 and none of my buddies believe me when I describe your upper roller setup.I got a lot of respect for old iron and the Canadian King of Obsolete.

  6. #6wrenchbender2007-04-24 08:09

    Looks as though that skid steer is a typical kid always getting in trouble and being bailed out by those that are older and with more expirence.

  7. #7King of Obsolete2007-04-28 12:21

    thansk guys, my computer doesn't like me, but will try and get a picture or 2 on here. took BAD BUSINESS for a quick bath and then continued to the bush to move the drill. then the camera died. these computer things are really get on my nervous, LOL thansk

  8. #8jmac2007-04-28 12:35

    KoO. who got you out in the last pic. Looks like you would could use a boat.

  9. #9DPete2007-04-28 12:38

    Better trade bad buisness for a boat King, how do you get that size pic on here? I have some job pics but it's a pain to resize. DP

  10. #10King of Obsolete2007-04-28 12:39

    i went back to BAD BUSINESS and was getting my lunch and clothes off the sinking cat and the highways grader came by. so for a bottle of beverage he pulled out BAD BUSINESS and when i delivered the bottle to the operator at quitting time on friday. i drank my fair share of the bottle. so it was a very cheap tow job, LOL thansk

  11. #11digger242j2007-04-28 12:39

    No treat?

  12. #12King of Obsolete2007-04-28 12:42

    since i really know nothing of a computer, i email the pictures to myself. the outlook express resizes them to the right size. plus i get an email too so i feel loved, LOL a treat for BAD BUSINESS is a grease job using low temp grease which he will be getting after a "bath" like that, LOL thansk

  13. #13DPete2007-04-28 17:21

    Remember to get the fish out of the steering clutch compartment. If I ever saw my D8's in that position I would consume beverage too! Is beverage to blame for bad business venturing out in the water and mud? DP

  14. #14srs_mn2007-04-28 18:05

    Hi King, I've enjoyed reading your site for over a year now - I can't believe the grief you put yourself through! You take those old crawlers into places I wouldn't even drive a snowmobile! What would you have done if you hadn't been so close to the road when you got stuck? I have never been quite that stuck, but, over the years, I have been stuck enough to know that it is no fun getting out of a spot like that with no other machine around to help. Of course you don't seem to even consider falling through the ice on the lake a serious problem, so I guess getting a little stuck in a swamp is not that bad... Just be careful - we'd hate to lose you. :drinkup srs/MN

  15. #15surfer-joe2007-04-28 18:25

    Seeing ole Bad Business headed down in the muskeg brought back some bad memories of my sojurn with Great Lakes Paper in northern Ontario. Cold, wet, and very cold memories. Keep your powder dry!

  16. #16King of Obsolete2007-04-28 18:52

    surfer-joe, the td-9 was a very popular winter freighting cat. lots were sunk and salvaged over the years. srs_mn, salvaging is easy when you have a tail, just throw out the tail and out comes the cat. hooking up a cable in the mud and water is the hardest thing to do. all my cats have tails. as for the ski-doo, that is too much work, would sooner sit on a cat and relax, LOL here is a picture of jake on a ski-doo that we gave up on and he just walked. we spent more time getting the ski-doo unstuck then working, LOL dpete, i was too busy watching the skid to make sure that it didn't slid in to the tracks. next thing you know i was in the water, i thought that BAD BUSINESS could walk on water. i tell everyone i did it for the marketing, LOL thansk

  17. #17Lashlander2007-04-28 20:05

    Nice update King!:thumbsup

  18. #18RollOver Pete2007-04-28 20:15

    This could make it to the Discovery Channel's not so Modern Marvels. :drinkup

  19. #19surfer-joe2007-04-28 20:20

    Bad Business King of Obsolete Early TD 8's and 9's were good old tractors, and with the gas starting system, a favorite choice for cold weather operations. Even as slow as the hydraulics were, you could do a fair amount of clearing and dirt moving with them. The Michigan DNR used to own a lot of them for fire-fighting and general dozer work. My dad had a "Twin-Track" Ski Doo Alpine, the one with the horizontally opposed engine and single ski. It was heavy and would go over a lot of snow, but when it was stuck, it was really stuck! I nearly sunk it in a lake one day, just barely did make it to shore. (no ice under snow) Great Lakes Paper had what we called "Slashers." you are probably familiar with the term. Built on an International truck chassis, they used a Detroit 671 for power, and basically crawled along from one skidder landing of trees to another cutting them into pulp wood (8 footers), or saw logs (16 footers). These were then stacked up, saw logs on one side of the tote road, pulp piles on the other. The final drives of these slashers -- set up like a motor grader -- were actually externally chain driven using a #180 roller chain assembly and three sprockets, one drive and two driven. So, four sets of heavy chain all together. The slasher driver was usually the lead operator and ran one of the two hydraulic grapples on board, generally the front one. There was another boom in back with an operator for stacking cut logs, and then there was the sawyer, who operated the 48 inch diameter saw. Quite a machine and a smooth operating one was nice to watch. The problem, related to Bad Business's, is that the operators would sometimes takes these creatures thorough watery muskeg holes to get back and forth to the skidder landings. After a while, mud and sometimes ice would build up in the sprockets, which tightened and stretched the chains and under severe packing conditions, would actually break them. Well, there was no locking differential in these things and when a chain broke, the other set on that side would usually bust as well within a few feet. Care to guess where this usually happened? Common practice was to call the closest woods garage and ask for a mechanic to come out with some new links and an assortment of tools and pullers to fix the problem. But one first had to find the old chain you see!........ This was done by wading out in the muskeg and feeling for it with your feet, then you had to somehow get a hold of it and drag it up to the surface and re-loop it over the sprockets. This wasn't too bad if the mud and water was only knee deep or so, but I did a few where the stuff was up to my neck, and I'm a six footer. Remember that down under all that gunk was perma-frost, and sometimes, at night, there would be a thin sheet of ice on top as well. If we were real lucky, sometimes there would be a D7 or a D8 building more haul roads in the vicinity. If there was, we would try to coax the operator to bring it over and tow the slasher out, sometimes this only took the promise of one bottle of whisky to accomplish, but other times the operator would be asleep or not around and we would take the Cat and do it ourselves -- me and my helper that is. The slasher crew usually spent all this time curled up in their crewcab sleeping and eating their lunches. Rare for them to actually help us out. Still, we had to fish that damned broken chain out. The slasher crew generally laughed off our rude and crude comments about these affairs, and quickly pointed out that under the union rules, they weren't supposed to do any wrench-bending. I pointed out that what they were doing by going thorough these bogs could be dangerous to them as well, as the only brake on this whole machine was mounted on the driveshaft just ahead of the front differential. So, no chains, no brakes!...... This was soon demonstrated. One of the crews ran their slasher thorough a bog, and though the chains didn't break right away, they were cracked, bent and otherwise damaged. The machine was making a long trip this time and got out on the main haulroad headed south. There happened to be a very long hill leading down just there (maybe four miles and perfectly straight), and it actually ran right by our shop. I was working on a 637 rear engine (scraper) when I heard the damnest noise coming down the hill. I looked up just as that slasher flashed by the shop doing about 80 miles an hour. What a sight! The operator was still in the cab trying to keep it out of the ditches and was honking the horn for all he was worth. The rest of the crew was right behind him in the crewcab and they were waving their arms and honking their horn too. They all quickly disappeared behind the Spruce trees going on down the road in a big sandy cloud of dust. The machine finally hit a level stretch of road about a half mile below the shop and slowly stopped by itself. Everybody in the shop piled into another crewcab and headed down to see what was going on. The operator was white faced and scared to death, but we all had to give him credit, he stuck with that baby when most would have piled off. He said he wanted to, but by the time he got ready to jump it was going too fast. We back-tracked up the road and found the first set of chains laying in a pile together. We figured these got bound up from the speed and one broke and got into the other and took it out. Further up was a third chain by itself, it was simply busted in one link. The remains of the fourth chain were in the road right near where the slasher had come on from the tote road and we could see the bog they had come thorough close to where we were standing. No question as to what happened. The operator stated that he felt the first chain break and tried to stop. We think that was when the second chain on that side broke. Once that happened, he had no brakes at all and the other two chains came off about a hundred yards down the hill. I'll never forget the sight of that big dirty orange slasher whizzing by the shop. And you know who got to repair and replace those chains…………

  20. #20LowBoy2007-04-28 20:58

    Discovery Channel/ King of Obsolete. It is safe to say that if the producers of the Discovery Channel decided to air the King in a reality series, that the Paul Sr., Jr. & Mikey Tuetul reign will soon be over for O.C.C.:my2c

  21. #21Steve Frazier2007-04-28 21:12

    LOL, I predict we will see that happen without the King's help!! The KOO would definately make an interesting reality show, he's a true to life Red Green!

  22. #22Deere John2007-05-08 09:59

    Surfer-Joe - the slasher you talk of was a NESCO 3-Man slasher. Made in Thunder Bay by Northern Engineering and Supply Company, hence NESCO, they slashed a pile of wood in northern Ontario. I heard about their brake issues, but never a story so dramatic with a happy ending. I believe it! I also heard that the job of running one was so boring, that much pot was smoked in those cabs to cope with the 14 hour days, heat, flies and noise from the jimmy. John - who spent 8 years in the bushes of Thunder Bay and Dryden.

  23. #23surfer-joe2007-05-08 11:36

    I never knew who actually made the slashers. They were a real Rube Goldberg lash up, and yet they ran day after day and the mountains of timber they produced were indeed prodigious. Pot was never an issue in the camps I was in. Most of the folks that worked there were older and just didn't seem to be into that stuff. But alcohol! Oh boy! The camps were awash in beer and whisky. This was a real problem in the berthing areas at night. Up at 603 a lot of guys, including myself, used to do a lot of fishing for Walleye. We would pool the fish and have a fish fry almost every Thursday night. Thursday about noon, a pickup was dispatched down to the trading post at Graham for a load of beer and booze, all properly iced down so it would be at the right temp when the truck got back just in time for dinner. I don't know why we didn't have more injuries on Friday. Half the crew could barely standup and there were not usually very many in the chow hall for breakfast. On the other hand, some of the cat skinners didn't drink anything else but whisky and were used to it, so it didn't seem to bother them much. The sawyers were the worst off. The two boom operators on the slasher kept pretty busy and I doubt they ever had much time to dope off. The sawyer however was another matter, all he had to do was keep that 48 inch saw swinging back and forth, making sure that he had the logs all the way back against the stop before cutting. If the logs were still moving when he started a cut the saw would bend and sometimes break. You know who was then dispatched out to change it. Some of the better crews would do this for themselves though, and the sawyer was actually responsible for changing out the carbide teeth when it was time for a change. Yep! Fly's, skeeters, no-see-ums, hornets, yellow jackets, and the summer I was up there, Spruce Bugs, were all a real pain. No air conditioning then, and lots of sawdust and just plain dirt in the air. It got really hot there that summer, many days over a hundred, and the humidity was oppresive. We could usually tell where a slasher was working even if we couldn't see it from the howl of the 6-71 Detroit engine. Nothing else up there used that engine and its distinctive sound would guide us in. Is there still much logging and processing in the Thunder Bay area?

  24. #24biggixxerjim2007-05-11 00:57

    You guys are rugged as hell!!!!!:usa

  25. #25surfer-joe2007-05-11 11:13

    Used to be, "rugged as hell!!!!."

  26. #26King of Obsolete2007-05-20 17:14

    winter is over in the great white north, i had a lady from panama give me a hair cut and shave because i sold it on ebay for $500.00, LOL thansk

  27. #27Countryboy2007-05-20 21:21

    :laugh Looks like you found your own personal money tree. :drinkup

  28. #28Lashlander2007-05-21 01:42

    Holy Moly, what a baby face! Wheres your dark glases? :thumbsup

  29. #29morgsD6r2008-04-11 07:36

    yea

  30. #30dr5012008-04-11 13:36

    AMEN king on the email to self i might have to do that to get a good email p.s. good to see stuff reserected ya need to change your name to jesus lol

  31. #31biggixxerjim2008-04-11 14:34

    these guys need someone to teach them about grammar

  32. #32King of Obsolete2008-04-11 20:29

    i thought we do very well on the grammar thing since we are better operators and mechanic then computer guys. it is the computer that shows the mistakes, LOL glad you like guys, will get picture of BAD BUSINESS since he is a 3 seater for taking the ladies out on tour, LOL thansk KoO Publishes Author (member of Writers Guild)

  33. #33dr5012008-04-12 12:05

    Thats right i bet a good grammer person cant do half the stuff we can. im not proude of my spelling but i am proud of what i can do with a piece of equipment lots of pride. if you wanna correct people on ther grammer be a teacher at some school behind a desk! i come here to these forums to read what other people do like the KING here did with that old (piece of scrap) and made it into a well working machine thats what im here for to see other peoples stuff there proud of thank you!!!! to all the proud operators and machanics

  34. #34jughead2008-04-12 12:43

    a-men on the grammar police. i aint good at operator or grammar but i usually get the job done and people understand me MOST of the time

  35. #35King of Obsolete2008-04-12 12:49

    before i got this computer, all my hand writing was so messy. that way you could not see that i can't spell. now after owning a computer for 5 years, i still use the same words over and over because i know how they are spelled. when i got my first book published, my 86 year old grandma said (we knew that there was a writer in the family, but who thought it would be "you". i tell everyone that i have 12 years of schooling doesn't mean i have grade 12, LOL here is a couple pargraghs from my second book that is at the publisher right now. The reason why this is called the High Speed Tour is because I went south to take a fancy course on how to install high speed internet dishes. I got a dish in the Kingdom when they were very pricey and now with cheaper prices, everyone in the Great White North wants one. A friend of mine said he would pay for the course to get me qualified to install these high speed dishes. Once I have that fancy piece of paper, I would install the high speed dishes for him because he lives 1500 kms in southern Manitoba. It is a lot easier and cheaper for me to do the installations and he can do the paper work via the internet. Once again the computers are making the world a smaller place. The way my friend talked about the high speed internet course is that “we” would be taking it together and “we” would be learning a lot about installing these high speed dishes. But when I arrived in Winnipeg at the fancy hotel “we” walked together to the conference room to sign “me” in. That is when I found out that my friend was going to take his wife shopping and will be back at 6:00 pm to see if “I” passed the course. He says it is a fun course and he has that fancy piece of paper. Ok, now I’m alone in a room with seventeen guys that have been born and raised around computers and electronics. Remember, I’m the King of Obsolete and my VCR time flashes 12 o’clock all the time because I’m not smart enough to figure out how to set the correct time. I feel like I’m at a nude beach wearing my Speedo and everyone is watching and waiting for the Speedo to be removed. When the instructor gets up and introduces himself with all his credentials and the only thing missing was helping Bill Gates start Microsoft. That is when I knew this was going to be a long day and I’m going to have a headache from all the thinking that is going to be required. When this day finally ends, the ice cold beverage is going to taste very good in great quantities. Now the instructor wants us to stand up and introduce ourselves to the other classmates, also include your credentials. Good thing I always sit in the back of the class which I have done since kindergarten. After listening to all the other guys and they have 3-6 years of college after high school. I get up and introduce myself as the King of Obsolete and I have 12 years of school which doesn’t mean I have grade 12. As for college, it is great place to visit my instructor Dad for lunch. Now that the instructor has seen what he has for students, he decides to bump the course up to the next level because there are more educated people in the course. The King of Obsolete with the least amount of education can just follow along. So instead of a novice installation course we are going to get a technical course. WOW is all I have to say and I can feel a headache coming on plus ice cold beverage is now ten hours away. When we took a lunch break, my head was really starting to hurt with all these big words and phases about which way a signal is being beamed to earth so a high speed internet dish can find it. They are not the same words used in Star Trek. I found that out on the pop quiz before lunch. After lunch, the course gets more in depth with bigger words and phases. The instructor even uses his computer and gets a whole bunch of Egyptian looking words on the screen that everyone else knows about except me. When the instructor asked me what I thought or should do next, I told him, if get that Egyptian coded stuff on the screen of my computer. I unplug it and walk away before I adjust it with a hammer. The instructor was nice enough to show me how to do it the simple long version with out Egyptian code words so I could understand. After a long hard day of learning how to install a high speed dish, we have a test that will take less then a half an hour to write. The instructor says you have to get 80% to pass to get the installer’s certificate. I remember when the good old days when it was 50% to pass anything including your driver’s license. Of course everyone in the room wrote the test in under 10 minutes but the King of Obsolete took 35 minutes to write the test. I didn’t think I was going to even get 40% or even a pass at 80%. But when all was said and done, I got 90% on the test which is not bad for being the least educated fellow of the group. I knew exactly where I messed up on the course and I blame a lady for sitting beside me during her quick visit to the class. She distracted me with her 6 inch high heel, black knee high leather boots that had no zippers. I guess I was day dreaming on the physics it would take to remove those boots. Good thing she was not in the course all day because it would have been high school all over again for me with distractions. thansk KoO Published Author

  36. #36Northart2008-04-12 13:12

    Bad Grammar ? Bad Grammar usage , I just laugh when someone points that out to me. Actually I appreciate people trying to help me, to speak and write English correctly. Kinda like , " Comb your hair " , "Tuck your shirt in " , " Zip up your pants ", " Wipe your face , you still got breakfast showing " Admonishments by your Mother or friends to make you look better.

  37. #37Northart2008-04-12 13:25

    Grammar ? Hello KOB; Hey , you have a good sense of humor. "it is the computer that shows the mistakes, LOL " Always enjoy your posts . Looks like you are ahead of us in springtime from the pics.

  38. #38dr5012008-04-13 14:30

    Hay king you have any more pics of it up there? looks nice up there. (eye hopes mi grammore izz otay) :Banghead:bash ointhead LOL

  39. #39dr5012008-04-13 14:42

    Hay surfer joe you have any pics you could post on the site of the slashers? bee cool to see i googeled but no luck

  40. #40King of Obsolete2008-04-13 14:56

    finally the BBis up and going again. northart, check the date on this thread, it is from last year at this time. when it came up, even i was confused. we are having a late melt this year, which is ok, because i like snow better then rain. dr501, here is a link to my website where i have summer pictures of reindeer lake. that lake is like living next to disney world for me. http://kingofobsolete.ca/ramp_boat_to_reindeer_lake_tour_WEBPAGE.htm thansk KoO Published Author

  41. #41AtlasRob2008-04-13 15:02

    King Hey KING !............... YOU ARE THE MAN :drinkup I aint stupid, but I aint a light bulb either. But if I could tell a story like you can tell a story.......................... Man would my kids be proud :notworthy:notworthy:notworthy ROCK ON TOMMY & stuff the grammer. :IMO Hey, where you get that young lookin face? Is that what the funny lookin white stuff does for you. DAM! should have taken more notice last week

  42. #42King of Obsolete2008-04-13 15:11

    thansk, i grew the hair back in time for winter, still can't get a date, LOL nice white stuff you have over there, did it stay long???? thansk KoO Published Author

  43. #43AtlasRob2008-04-13 18:15

    Naw it didn't stay long. Just long enough for the kids to understand what all us old farts keep on about. and not toooo long that us old farts had to worry about it Sorry to hear about the date problem ! Got this Email from A place I use Message from WWW.Adultdating com your ad has been on our web site for nine years now without response, do you want us to try 1 week without a picture! That was from a supposed mate :beatsme

  44. #44King of Obsolete2008-04-13 18:47

    wow, that is a good dating service, LOL i should have the ladies lined up once my second book is released from the publisher. in the book it refers to my speedo bathing suit numerous times. thansk KoO Published Author

  45. #45dr5012008-04-13 19:05

    man ther is lots of reading on your site looks like you have fun in "the great north" i miss the northen lights any pic of them

  46. #46King of Obsolete2008-04-13 19:20

    thansk, glad you enjoyed all the reading on my website. as for the northern lights, i can't get any pictures of them with a cheap digital camera i have. someday when i'm rich and famous and can buy a fancy camera. here is another picture from THE ROCKET TOUR. thansk KoO Published Author

  47. #47jkiser962008-04-13 19:22

    Thanks for the pics King. You sure know how to do it old school up there in the great white north. Keep up the good work:drinkup

  48. #48dr5012008-04-13 19:45

    ok king i said lots of reading lol im not done yet i waish i had inter net at the hotel i stay at in the summer id not wanna watch tv its all lame compared to your storys AND THIS IS WHY I LIKE FORUMS not for a spelling lesson. looking forward to get more time to finish reading

  49. #49King of Obsolete2008-04-13 20:00

    thansk, old school is what i like because i can fix it with the wrenches i have. i have not had TV in the KINGDOM since southern belle moved south with the furniture back in june. i can see the world and learn through the computer. here is THE HOOD looking good in the snow. thansk KoO Published Author

  50. #50bobcat ron2008-04-13 20:05

    What's the deal with the Rocket anyways? I did notice the Bucyrus Erie stamp in one of the pics. Is it some kind of loader device?

  51. #51King of Obsolete2008-04-13 20:12

    it is an overshot loader, yes the bucket goes up and over your head to load the dump truck behind the cat. i think the machine was very hard on operator underwear as the bucket went over his head, LOL the BE overshot is a rare model, not many around. it left my yard 50 years ago on the cat train and i brought him back home. thansk KoO Published Author

  52. #52bobcat ron2008-04-13 20:15

    Holy crap, I would love to see some action pics or even a 30 second vid of that!

  53. #53King of Obsolete2008-04-13 21:02

    i hope to get him up and running this summer, then we will have pictures of how it works and me bailing out when the bucket is almost over my head, LOL thansk KoO Published Author

  54. #54digger242j2008-04-13 22:30

    King, you are rich and famous. You just don't have a lot of money...

  55. #55King of Obsolete2008-04-13 22:38

    yes you are right, all my ex-wives have taken the money, LOL thansk KoO Published Author

  56. #56DirtHauler2008-04-14 02:02

    Is that a new kind of dozer? I have not heard of that brand of machine before. I told some young bucks one time who has things to say about my spelling that if I was so closed minded as to refuse to learn anything from someone because of the way they spelled, that I would be much less of a person for it. Afterall, if we all had perfect grammer and spelling, everyone would know that the only piece of equipment the people on this site had ever operated was a computer. To me misspelled words and "incorrect" grammer are like certificates of authenticity. Real people, talking the way they REALLY talk, using the words they want to use, not just the words they know how to spell. For gods sake, I would rather have 100 people on there who had bad grammer than only one person with good grammar. if you think my typing is bad, you sould try to read my handwriting. ointhead BTW king, do you have a link to your published works? Not to pry, but what in the heck do people do for a living where you live? Is there some industry that draws people to that area, or is it something eles?

  57. #57dr5012008-04-20 10:30

    Way to put it dirt hauler on the grummer thing and yes my hand writing is worse then an 7 year old so my puter REALY helps out.Maybe The King need to make a rule on his post no good grammer allowed lol i learned alot from The Kings post darn good reading even know the grummer is rough i read like we all type lol All hale the king lol

  58. #58King of Obsolete2008-04-20 11:02

    thansk guys, these BBs have helped me with my spelling too. i also added a page to my website showing updates on THE ROCKET. http://kingofobsolete.ca/international_harvester_company_TD-9_THE_ROCKET_WEBPAGE.htm will get more info on the loader showing some pictures of how it works. thansk KoO Published Author

  59. #59DTL2010-10-17 22:16

    hey, do you have or know anyone that may have pictures of the nesco three man slasher? thanks

  60. #60DirtHauler2010-10-17 22:28

    Poor guy can't make a new thread till he gets a few post under his belt. I have no idea of what that is but someone might.