Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

bad day for boss

ship 660 · 2015-12-11 19:02

So guy call me and says had a problem today. Guess a couple truck drivers just dumped and where heading to reload when one driver pulled up hoe operator needed him to move closer. Driver 2 had already pulled up behind driver 1. Both drivers and hoe operator parked. Driver 1 puts truck in reverse and starts to back. Driver 2 sees him backing so starts to back up as well then gets scared and stops. Of course driver 1 backs into driver 2. Who's to blame? I say all 3 of the operators but what do I know I turn wrenches. Anyway estimated cost to repair was around $25,000. Cant find a used hood since the truck is too new. One guy suggested taking hood to a body shop and see if they could repair it. waiting to see what parts he can get.

Replies22
  1. #1Delmer2015-12-11 19:20

    Looks like you need a couple gallons of JBweld there.

  2. #2ship 6602015-12-11 20:16

    I gave him that response when he called me. Don"t think he was impressed. Stoped by to look at it and told him I could weld cooler no problem, Fix cac pipe, and change out all other parts. Not much of a body man so didn't even say I could do anything with hood. He did say the hood cost from CAT was going to be around $9,000 bare.

  3. #3lantraxco2015-12-11 23:20

    Backup cameras, best invention since oral sex.

  4. #4ScottAR2015-12-12 01:03

    I have a customer with a small cottage industry in repairing JD tractor hoods. 3m semi rigid epoxy and fiber mesh patch. Bondo and paint. Most of the biggish deere hoods are $8k ish.

  5. #5JD955SC2015-12-12 22:55

    Those CAT trucks should have backup cameras- all the ones I have predelivered do and they are great.

  6. #6Nige2015-12-13 03:41

    Backp cameras are good, but even they won't prevent an operator reversing into another machine or an inanimate object. All they do is let him see what he hit without having to leave the cab.......

  7. #7Melness642015-12-13 04:36

    Like to know what speed the collision was ,that's a lot of damage .

  8. #8kshansen2015-12-13 09:44

    That's assuming the operator takes his eyes off his cell phone long enough to look at the screen. Make something idiot proof and management will hire a "better" idiot!

  9. #9Nige2015-12-13 10:07

    Our operators were forced to leave their cell phones in the change house lockers. They could only get at them at breaks and meal times. Anyone caught using a cell phone while operating was subject to instant dismissal. No ifs, but, whys, or wherefores - simply escorted off the property by security with a DCB (don't come back) letter to follow.

  10. #10Oxbow2015-12-13 12:06

    While I agree with all the aforementioned sentiment in regard to back-up cameras and cell phones, I think that any operation running 2 or more trucks with a hoe loading and most likely a dozer and compaction equipment receiving material should have radio communication. Not just to help prevent accidents like this, but to improve efficiency. :my2c

  11. #11SidewinderGlenn2015-12-13 12:16

    I told all of my truck drivers (20 on-road quad axles)on the job a few days ago that they should wear gloves ... because there seems to be something in the steering wheel plastic that kills brain cells. 20 trucks bringing fill in to a building site is like herding cats !

  12. #12pafarmer2015-12-13 12:58

    I don't allow cell phones either while on the clock. These kids today covet them like they couldn't live without the Friggin things ! If I catch them With one in any of my equipment during working hours they are dismissed on the spot. I come from the old school and if your paying attention to your phone, you are not paying attention to your work and more Importantly lhe people around you. No IPOD's with ear buds either. All my equipment, including rock truck and over the road trucks are equipped with back up camera's. I have seem a noted reduction in damage since I started using them on everything I OEM. Even the Chevy diesel P/U have them. Great lpeice of kit in my opinion and well worth the small expense...most operators that are continually interacting allot during the course of the day have 2 way radios as well for an added. Safety measure. I could never live with myself if someone got hurt because I failed to supply them with everything possible to help ensure their personal safety on my job sites....

  13. #13lantraxco2015-12-13 14:30

    I agree... like the voice operated head sets, but with a group of operators and truck drivers on it would probably sound like an old hens session.

  14. #14ship 6602015-12-13 14:38

    The trucks do have back up cameras and all operators have radios to communicate. Just one of those things where many mistakes took place.

  15. #15pafarmer2015-12-13 15:58

    Accidents happen.... Not much can be done to remain indefinitely 100 percent accident free....we use allot of two ways these days as well. Skidding turns to a landing where at certain points along the trail only one skidder can pass, so it critical those guys get a rythem and communicate or things can get stupid quick. Too many guys on two ways gives me a major headache.

  16. #16kshansen2015-12-14 09:07

    Have to agree with the idea of keeping cell phones out of equipment. People will try to say they need to be available to be reached in an emergency. If it is really important then they should tell kids/spouse to call the front office. Only difference I could see if someone was working at a remote location by themselves which is not suppose to happen but I see it all the time where I worked. That was about the only time I would carry my cell phone when doing repairs on a machine.

  17. #17DDoug2015-12-14 12:28

    .....and now I need to source qty (1) bottle of Windex.....

  18. #18catfixer2015-12-14 23:29

    back when I was at the kitty cat dealer we had a customer with 2 brand new 740b's right when they first came out. operator decided to go up a down haul road. head on collision. ended up breaking engine block on one, transmission housing on the other, and both of them had to get front frames swapped. not a good day.

  19. #19Cmark2015-12-14 23:55

    Yep. If you use the front of your 740 as a brake you need to make sure you've got good insurance.

  20. #20lynchy2015-12-18 14:41

    Had a 980g backing off a quarry stockpile,cat 730 waiting to drive up n tip,both had full mirrors,radios,rear camera's horns,bloke in dumper sat there as shovel backed into him,shovel driver said' dumper looked further away ' in mirrors,dumper driver 'didn't believe shovel would keep coming back':Bangheadback about '05,thinking back bill for shovel was about £15k

  21. #21kshansen2015-12-18 15:29

    This reminds me of a situation we had many years ago at the quarry. They were cleaning out an area where the jaw crusher was going to be mounted. Problem was it was a wet year and there was a section of the access road to this cut about 100 feet long that was flooded, about 3 feet deep. They were hauling through this low spot with a pair of R35 Euclids. They were the version with the air filters mounted on left front fender ahead of the front wheel. Drivers were under orders to go slow and only one at a time in the water. Well as I'm sure you can guess one of the drivers decided he didn't want to wait for the other truck. Bow wave off one truck hits the front of the other truck right on the airfilter housing. Instant dead engine. Amazing how good a water pump a pair of blowers on a 12-V71 can be at 2,100 rpm! Forget how many bent rods that engine had, maybe all of them?

  22. #22Seabass2016-02-14 15:42

    Body shop will be cheaper than Cat parts im sure. Nothing is idiot proof, cameras, mirrors, radios wont help. All that is needed is what I like to call un- common sense. Hiring operators with half a brain is a good start too. You look behind you as you back up I don't get it? Mirrors?