I just bought a JCB 214s backhoe and some times when I change it from reverse to forward I would have to try several times to get it to go forward, now it won,t go in reverse or forward I have been told it was a bad lever. Is this a very common problem with these hoes? Is there any thing else that I should be looking at?
Bad forward to revise lever Check the linkages. And there should be some wireing going to the lever mechanism. Check the wireing very closely.
Hi. I have a 212s and I had a shuttle shifting problem, ended up being a relay. But I think I have read that the lever assys. can give trouble also. I know my lights/blinker lever is messed up too, I just bypassed it with a toggle switch to get headlights, but that wouldnt work for shuttle obviously Try putting the key on without engine running and moving the lever back and forth, you should hear a relay clicking. Also with the parking brake on, when you shift to forward or reverse from neutral, the big red exclamation warning light should come on. As David said, check the wiring very closely before you condemn anything..
I can hear the relays clicking but there are two sets of forward and two reverse and only one set is making noises.
On checking the wiring, disconnet any connectors and visuialy look them over for signs of oxidation, dirt, etc. Often the act of unplugging and reconnecting a connector will wipe it clean for a while. Wiggle them good. A small wire brush is good to clean the connectors. Some relays are nearly silent. IF possible feel the relay as it pulls and you can often feel it but no noise. Keep the info coming as there are some very knowledgable JCB folk here. Im a JD myself. Good luck and welcome to the forum
Would that be an electronic fwd/rev control lever? Is it possibly something has activated the neutral solenoid of the tranny?
Yes it is an electronic one,I used a stethoscope on the relays so I know which ones are activating. I ordered a new lever from dirt digger.con out of the UK at $165 compared the the dealers cost of $360. I put die electric grease on all the connections and relays I took apart, Wish me luck and thank for the replies
Well, best of luck to ya. I have seen those type of controllers go bad on open cab type machines. Typically, the rubber seal boot on the lever goes bad and it lets moisture get in there. Makes a big mess with those electronic components inside the shift controller.
My tractor has a cab but when thing wear out they wear out, but this tractor only has 2900 hours on it
I wish i saw this sooner. I fixed my for about 5 cents. My dealer gave me the heads up that inside are a couple microswitchs that are available at a radioshack or other electronics outlet or online. Literally, a package of the tiny little switchs is pennies. I unsoldered them, soldered new ones in, and it works perfect. Good luck
Inside the reverser switch?
I checked out the micro switches in the reverser and they are fine I think my problem is beyond the reverser, the relays are making noise when you switch it back and forth so what solenoid do I check on the transmission?
I found the problem with my tractor and fix it. It was a bad ground in the wiring harness. I ran two separate ground to the transmission solenoid and it works great. Thanks for you interest and help.