What would you do its a late 90s or early 2000 Dodge pickup that was park 3 years ago started 3 or 4 times a year. It was almost empty on gas and ran out last time it was started. I am not big on snake oils but i am thinking about some seafoam.
just don't overdo it and it will be fine. Honestly with something that new, fuel injected obviously, I'd put ten gallons of regular gas in and drive it. If you're not going to drive it, just start it, then add five gallons of premium, or go to an airport and get LL100, and stabil at the rate on the bottle, no more.
5 gal fresh gas & a can of seafoam should`nt hurt anything
I read the title and though someone was having a problem with fantastic flatulence.
I swear by the Lucas Oil fuel treatment, has yet to do me wrong only right.
I'd just throw a couple bucks worth of fresh gas in it and see what it'll do.
I would put in new gas and a bottle of 104 octane boost. I know octane is just a measure of spark knock resistance, but the main ingredient is naptha, which is great solvent, and I've had great luck with it over the years.
My 1989 service truck that I am running sat for 8-10 years and had some of the worst stinky gas you can imagine. The in-tank pump was bad but we topped it off and haven't even changed the fuel filter IIRC. That was some years ago now, still going strong.
Well, I couldn't edit that last, so here goes: 18 months ago I had the dealer make a key for a 2008 Nissan Pathfinder with 87,000 miles that had been left on my place in 2012. (7 years) It had 1/2 a tank of gas in it, and I figured to drop the tank, pour out the old gas, and replace the fuel pump at least. While it was on the trailer at the dealer having the key programmed, the tech hit the key and it started immediately. I stopped on the way home and filled it up, still on the trailer, and when I got home, I started it and backed it off the trailer. It just turned 100,000 with nothing but routine maintenance.
The internet is not being kind to me tonight
I would suggest a fuel filter at least while you are at doing anything.
If this is a 2nd gen Ram, there is no external fuel filter IIRC.
If it is a 99 to 2000, I think it should still have an external fuel filter somewhere on the frame rail. It is empty and been started that many times. I would put some fuel in it and fire it up and run 5 to 10 gallons through it, then change the fuel filter and you should be good to go. If it has a lot of miles on it, then you might want to run some injector cleaner through it and clean the throttle body. That should be it. I wouldn't put any octane boost or anything in there that would not normally be in there. That won't make much difference. The fact that the tank is empty is the best thing you could hope for. Because you don't have any old gas to deal with. You should be good to go.
My old '01 never had a filter.
At the end of the summer i put in half a tank of no alcohol gas and a can of seafoam. I dont like this pickup but need something newer to drive so i thought i would get it licensed. I was going to drive it to work and get it inspected today. I made it 3 miles from the farm and it died. It wouldnt start and its so windy i couldnt hear the fuel pump. Then it got bad i have a new phone and thought my own fault it wouldnt work so i took off walking back to the farm down the highway 2 miles then a mile on the gravel. I was just about to the gravel when the postmaster that works in the town i work in stopped and took me the rest of the way.I thought before if i start driving it i would have trust problems with the fuel pump so now it may end up with a new one.
Ok a fuel pump------------For a second there I though someone ate half a head of cabbage and bad gas occurred
You guys have far better luck than me with old gas, no matter whether fuel injected or carbonated. "new gas WILL NOT cut old gas". Been beating on me for 40 years....
Well you just ruined my plan--I just ate a bunch of grapes thinking I would drive the old gas out.
In tank fuel pump, I believe the filter is part of that assembly in those years, at least on my '97 it is.
I think it has a paper filter in the tank. Another if it makes it out of warranty thats all they care about.
I pulled the tank yesterday its pickup was full of varnish or sludge. The tank had a big opening so i was able to clean it out good. I think i can get one of those cleaners that hooks to the scraider valve to clean the injecters. My heart isnt into fixing this thing up but its worthless unless it runs.
I have a new pump in place and my cell phone working so tomorrow i am going to try to make it to the inspection station. I also have the trailer hooked up to my Chevy.
That would do it...
I had a 98 F150 with a 4.6 that I retired when I got a new truck in 2012. I left it sit for about 3 years. When I went to sell the truck, the gas in the tank was so bad it wouldn't even fire on it. I added about 10 gallons of premium to the tank using jerry cans, got it running, but it ran like *****. Ended up dropping the tank, draining it, washing it out, and re-filling with new fuel. The truck suddenly ran perfect again. Gas doesn't even last 6 months these days.