Heres mine for the week,Boss tells us that we need to take down some locks of concrete because the ground was shifting and they were about to fall over.Sounds like a no big deal kinda thing.Right? They are over a mine entrance. Take the 180 ton demag cuz you need to sit back a bit....Whole area is sliding,trees are leaning,trees and markers have moved aprox. 6 feet.Picked 4 of those 3 foot by 3 foot by 5 foot blocks and they pulled the plug on the deal.Last word I heard was maybe a 3900 T and a clam bucket.
Shoot, just get you a kevlar beach umbrella to put over your cab and get the job done.
Keep them coming there Tiny excellent stuff.
Hey Tiny, your threads are usually so interesting I'm sorry for what I said in the "Bad Directions" thread.
I moved this thread over to the crane forum so it wasn't stuck in TGIF. Wow what a dangerous project. Is the mine active?
Yes Sir, Very active and that portal is closed until its resolved. Also consider that its aprox 50 feet above were I'm standing to take those pics and the "blocks" are leaning over so far that some of them you can see the entire top
So vwhat is the revised method for their removal??
I haven't talked to anyone since fri evening but if they waited long enough it might have "fixed" its self........there were two thoughts when i left, one was bring in a machine that could sit further back with a clam bucket,and the other was use an excavator to drag it all back. It is wide at the top and there is a road up there so that is a possibilty
Why not crane with a ball, set ball on far side of the wall, drag them towards the edge and let em drop?
Hey Tiny, since you said there's plenty of room on top, and even a road, reckon a big excavator with a 3 over 2 grapple would get a holt of the blocks? If so, you would not only be able to move them, but load them on a truck as well, no? Just a thought.
That was one of the thoughts put a 235 or bigger Excavator and load haul trucks to get the stuff out.Some more details that I left out, Sorry.A section of that hill moved 6 feet already and the gap left is full of water so if pumped and a hoe loading out that may be the best.But its a bad deal still.Also inside the mine entrance they had a couple of bobcats working banging and beating making lots of noise while setting up the crane and a couple of block fell off and we never heard it but the safety dude did tell me about it
Hey, you can't do that, now your the one giving bad directions! Bah ha ha ha :tong
Diesel Fuel and Fertilizer...one shot ..Done!..just pick a spot LOl..got yer mits full there Tiny..:drinkup
Well its all over ......while they were hashing things out the hill side did what I and others figured, Collapsed the precast in to the entrance.It may well have been for the better considering the state of things and no one was hurt either.Loaders and hoes are cleaning up the mess.
Thanks for sharing the pics Tiny.I noticed the load cell on your truck.Is that a "Crane smart" setup?
Sometimes ..Gravity is a friend...
Yes Sir it is
That job is even worse than setting trusses for carpenters! I partituclarly like the guy who calls wanting to pick up 50,000 pounds with a 25 ton boom truck. Some people are educated beyond their intelligence.
I had it happen ..14t National for 13t lift ..engineering student orders the boom truck ...then snaps my load chart out of my hand..and point to the 15t over head .."that lifted 13t".. 2 hrs later we had a 45t crane grunt on it..
Bad day I have been driving by this contracting outfit doing a freeway widening project every morning for a while. the other day something caught my eye: a guy had this thing totally stretched out at about 15 deg. and pulling on a BIG bundle of 3/4" 4x8 sheets of WET plywood that had just been stripped off a concrete pour. I was eager to stick around because it did not look right, but would have been rear ended for I was on the freeway. A hour later, passing the same scene, sure enough, the tip of the boom was on the ground and the angle ind. still at 15 deg!! By the time I got home, grabbed a camera and went back, heres all that was left, they had torched the main section rhght behing where it buckled(see photo) They did not waste any time getting that thing out of there. not good advertizing!! I am assuming the guy pulling levers that morning was a concrete guy and had no business being up there.
Another shot, the 75 ton was there to assist with operation
OK Finally got back out to the mine and it has changed,They have 4 pieces of of arched precast at the opening.Two of which were damaged.We were there to assist in replacing the busted pieces. Hard to tell in the pics but they pushed that hillside way back.