Manitowac the parent company of Grove cranes in Shady Grove,Pa. just announced they are reducing their workforce by over a third(700 plus). They have had so many orders cancelled they doubled the amount getting laid off. Know a few folks who worked there years ago and they are getting scared this may just be the start. I worked at U.S. truck crane in York,Pa. for a while and they closed up a few years back and consolidated everything in Texas for lower labor costs. News keeps getting worse every day in manufacturing.
Its gonna get much worse than this ...
bill, that's sad to here about Grove, but it seems the industry as a whole is being strained. Have you heard anything about health of JLG in McConnellsburg. The last time I was there in '04 the plant was kicking.
I hate to say it but it's probably going to get worse before it gets better.Prepair for the worst and hope for the best.This will finaly turn around,stay optomistic.
The Terex plant in Waverly, Iowa has totally shut down operations for one month. Rumor is it might be longer than that.
JLG has had 4 layoffs in 08 and is looking at more. I recently looked at a 9,000 lb telehandler which was new from 05. Dealer wanted 78 for a machine that was about 85 new. He said he could get me same machine new an 08 for 66,000 plus. That shows you how bad things are now. Found another machine a Lull 1044-C-62 2004 with 2300 hours for 35,500. This machine is now 140-150,000. How can a factory sell anything with the used prices the way they are? Sad sad sad.
Yeah, that's a bummer. I've been to both Grove and the JLG plants. They're large operations that employ a heck of a lot of hometown folks in PA. Grove, over the years, has merged with other larger companies, but still made a quality product (except for the AMZ66A manlift). JLG, on the other hand, has maintained their sort of soverign status. I appreciate that even though they bought out other machines, i.e. Lull, Gradall, Skyjack, they continued these products instead of deleting them as so many other companies would have. JLG is a class act. Oh yeah, a little trivia for any that didn't know, JLG is the initials for the founder, John L. Grove. J. L. Grove sold out his interest in JLG in McConnellsburg PA and went on to found Grove Mfg in Shady Grove PA. Two great American companies from a great American innovator. I hope they hang on. :usa
I heard the unemployment number increase for the past month may be as high as another 750,000. The wheels are off the bus now!
Its bad everywhere. Hilary clinton is pledging 900 million dollars to gahna to rebuild it though. No construction, no homes, no lumber, etc etc everyones hurting