1998 60 series detroit - always have had trouble keeping individual belts on the alternator. Parts store says matched belts are a thing of the past- so I get what's available and keep a couple in the cab, and the pulleys are straight. I replaced the alternator a couple years ago, but the lower pulley on the drive shows wear. I've sourced a lower drive assembly, and the guy I got it from suggested a banded v-belt, I've never used them. He said that's what came on them from the factory. Mine always tends to roll a belt and throw it off. I've tried tighter, looser, and have the best luck if we only run 1 belt. But I'm thinking of getting a banded belt- or even switching to a serpentine style, to get rid of my tossing belts issue.
Banded belts work well. Use the numbers on those Gates belts to get the same section and yes the pulleys have to be matching. Banded belts may be less expensive than a serpentine or a toothed belt. The other thing is if a Banded belt fails one V belt will get you home.
How about powerbands from gates. It's more of an industrial application but if the shiv fits https://www.gates.com/us/en/power-transmission/v-belts/banded-v-belt.p.9093-000000-000000.html I do recall the alt anchorage would wallow out the holes if guy was too lazy to properly tighten the pivot screw. I've seen a couple where the mount vibrated loose and destroyed the gear case.
Since I was curious, I guess matchmakers and milemakers are no longer a thing. I miss out on all the cool stuff.
These are banded belts and good quality, ran 2 triples on a forestry mulchers and quad on a flail mower. There was another brand whose name I can't remember but they were rubbish
We had worn mount issues when we got this truck, and got that sorted out, but this tossing belts is a pain, and didn't go away in fixing the mount. I think ours didn't hurt the gearcase, but destroyed the alternator. Somehow, I rarely throw the belt, but one of my other guys is always throwing it off. He's got reinstalling it down to a science. I think I'll see what I can get from gates in the banded style. Thanks guys.
Is this an automatic or manual transmission?
Manual. 13speed.
Both-the accessory drive and alternator pulleys are shot.
Maybe your guy is a little to aggressive on power shifting up and dumping the clutch on downshifts.
Yes- I'm more of a egg under the pedal driver. He's not.
You can still get matched belts if you match them yourself. Try and get a bunch of them together on the counter. You will see a lot of small numbers on the sides. If you get lucky, you will see one where all the numbers match except one set which is printed counting up, like 74 75 76 77 etc If you can find ones where all the numbers match, and the number that counts up is close, I guess that is where they cut them off the main belt stock so the counting numbers help get belts that came off close to each other. Obviously this will only happen if your parts house orders more than one at a time. Funny thing is, last time I looked for a matched set was about 1998 and they told me they did not exist back then. And here they were building trucks that still needed them. If Mike says your pulleys are shot, I know you of all people could figure out how to replace it with poly-V, but I just wanted to put my 2 cents in on the matching since I have had luck with that.
The grooves are worn out-especially the alternator, the belt is way low in the groove which will/can cause the belt to flip.
Year 2006-A farmer brought a IH to the shop that kept throwing the WP/PS belts, DT466. Belts were running straight and pulleys were not to bad. Went through 4 sets in 5 months. Changed the damper-no more problem.
Might want to keep one of these in your toolbox: [URL='https://duckduckgo.com/?q=v+belt+pulley+gage&iax=images&ia=images']v belt pulley gage at DuckDuckGo [/URL]
I have had good luck with banded belts from offroadbelts.com
That belt is sitting to deep in the pulley. You need a belt with a wider cross section, IMHO.
It appears to me that the belt is tooo deep in the drive pulley.
The belts are setting too deep because the grooves are worn out. A friend that runs a machine shop has tooling for re-grooving a pulley. He's done at least a dozen for me. https://www.skf.com/binaries/pub12/...acement-work-instructions_EN_tcm_12-66598.pdf
If the grooves are worn out, won't there be a big step in the faces where they would normally go straight from the wide part to the narrow part?
Hand the bill for the new sheaves to speed racer. Teach him to shift.
Yes, usually a slight curve on both sides.
I used to change the pulleys when the sides got shiny almost to the bottom of the pulley.
Am I just really lucky or something? Mine runs dual belts and when I got it I replaced them with matching one's and never thought about it since or had an issue, and that was 3 years ago.
Way to hard on the shifting gears. When I ran a 60 it would regularly squawk the belt if I was hill climbing and down shifting 6th and 5th gear in a 10 speed
Matched belts are definatly NOT a thing of the past. What is a thing of the past is parts guys with the knowledge and skill to be able to put together a matched set. If you know what the nubers are on the belt you can do it yourself. There should be the belt number. Then there is also a lay up number. When they are made they are made on the mold in a big huge tube or hose. They are then calander cut off that tube making the belt. The belt will have numbers indicating where in the calander they were cut from. You want to get belts that are of the same lay up number as close together in the calander as possible. If you need i can get a picture of these numbers on some matched sets i have. So heres what I do. Call oriellies. Find out how many belts in that number they have in the warehouse. Buy every last one. When you get them pick out a matched set plus another set or two to spare yourself future headache. Return the belts you dont want. Its the only way to get this done anymore. Most parts guy anymore are to dumb or to lazy to put in the effort to do it!
Also i have seen many of those detroit alt mounts that the bottom long mounting bolt hole was worn the fk out. So egg shaped that when you tighten the belts the pulley is no longer in alignment. You never will get the front belt tight no matter how matched the set is. Banded belts are a temperary band aid to a point. Even that will fail soon. When you dont have belts on it and alt is loose can you rock it and see a bunch of play at that mounting bolt? If so correct that issue!