Hello all, have found a very nice Hyster D7N towing winch, looks almost unused. The drum looks to have had a rope on at some point in the past but the drum flanges have zero marks / scuffs on them. Both ferule holders are present and the filler piece also. The control levers are as new also. It has a extension piece fitted where it would bolt up to the rear housing where the drive shaft comes through, would anyone recognise the bolt pattern as it doesn’t match up with the bolt pattern on my D7. Certainly a nice find Cheers Chris
A few more pics
Last few,
Doesn't look very used if at all. Maybe a take off from someone who didn't want/need a winch? I'm not sure if there is a listing for what machines it would fit. Someone like Old Magnet may know.
Don't recognize the bolt pattern but I'd be checking International Harvester or Allis Chalmers. https://www.alliedsystems.com/pdf/Winch/Manuals/599200W.pdf
There is a whole lot of things that are odd on that winch. I think the D7N might be a winch model number and not a reference to the model of Cat dozer. It reminds me of units built in the sixties that had the manual winch controls on the left side of the operator. In the seventies winch controls went to cables mostly mounted on the right side of the operator. The other big issue is the rust on the drive shaft and the way the winch is sitting on the pallet. Winches are notorious for letting water into the gear cases. When I look at old machines with winches I always suspect water in the transmission oil. Most of the older machines that had winches usually only used them to get unstuck or pull something up a hill or out of a swamp. They usually didn't leave heavy rope line marks on the drums. If it was from a logging machine it would still be on the machine. I've seen lots of orphan winches sitting in warehouses and letdown yards. Most usually ended up in the scrap yards.
The Star beside the n intrigues me, could it be military, for a tank, recovery vehicle etc
I think when I was in the military our D7E s had those winches on them the N designation seems familiar. I might have a pic that shows the back end of one .
Hyster D7N and D7D winches fit D7 tractors 7M - 3T - 17a . They do not fit on D7E tractors which are a different build.
That lines up with the models that @Old Magnet posted. '60s winch.
The letter refers to a series of winches , nothing to do with the model of dozer . N series were made for (early) D4's and D7's , probably D6's to . The D series were made in a range to fit at least D47U and D7 3 , 4 T and 17a. The D series pretty simple to work on . A lot of the parts from the D4D winch were the same as the later D4E winch fitted to D4D's dozers . Allowed for a low value "D" winch to rebuild a higher value "E" one . The D7F winch was fitted to D7E's dozers . F series winch I have used used to come on on its own , interesting event when the cable was passed over the cab to lift the blade . Neighbour had an D7F winch on his dozer , it never came on at all .
The "star" after the model number does indicate a product revision, an installation variation or typically a built in drawbar.
Great info, always amazing the wealth of knowledge on here.