Just wondering if there are any outfits on this forum in the basement excavation business in Central and Southern Alberta. My wife and I are moving to Alberta at some point this year I'll likely be going ahead of the pack to find us a home and all that jazz. I'm curious as to the standard operating procedure behind digging, backfilling and cartage? I did a fair bit of basement excavation in Southeastern Manitoba here and heard that the excavator operators do all the layout as well install the utilities like sewer, water, and sometimes power is this true? All our layout is done by the concrete contractor and sewer and water is done after the forms are stripped and the basement backfilled or at least it used to be. We also did the primary backfill with the same excavator, grading is usually done with Bobcat's or 'skid-steer's' later.
Not an answer to your question, but here in New Brunswick it depends on who is building the house. Some of the concrete guys have their own machines, and do everything. If a general contractor is doing the house they will sub out all the jobs. For example, one general here hires us for the excavation, and a local concrete contractor. The general marks the exact corners, then our tec plots them in his GPS, and paints out a rough offset plan. We either dig, or haul in the fill for the footing. Our tec uses the GPS to put the corners back in, and the cement guys come do their thing. The General looks after the plumbing, and under ground electrical if needed, and prepare the concrete, water proofing, drainage, etc. We move back in and do the backfill. Like I said, it depends on who is doing the job. Of course the government is always there with their hand out looking for money to inspect any water or sewer hook ups. A plumber has to prepare all hookups to the property line, and only an electrician can get the permit for the power hookup. And it seems to me that in order to install a septic or well for the country folk you need to be certified as well.
I have dug basements in central Alberta and its common for general to lay out basement and be there for the excavation, 4'' abs pipes under footings for sewer and waterline. Some times home owner look after it and other times the general looks after it.
Thanks rsaint I'd like to stick with residential/commercial excavation and some of the smaller related jobs. I kinda prefer being my own foreman, project manager, and engineer all in one.