Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Batteries

ColM ยท 2015-04-07 23:03

Need to replace the batteries in my '80's vintage 953 this year. The old ones were Cat batteries and went 10 years. Would like the next set to last that long and am wondering if anything out there is that good. New batteries from local Cat dealer are about 50% higher that aftermarket batteries from a battery 'wholesale' place. I'd not even consider auto parts store batteries as seldom do they even last the warranty period. Opinions???

Replies6
  1. #1DMiller2015-04-08 22:29

    I went to a battery manufacturer in Maryland Heights MO, Electro, they had "Seconds" where some form or another of the case or the final inspection did not pan out and the battery was still very viable. Get theirs for around 2/3 of a factory new first grade. They are marked as seconds and as such no warranty but had two group 31's in my AC 7G for two years now and no (Knock on my wood head) issues.

  2. #2Nitelite2015-04-08 22:59

    I just bought two Deka 4DHD heavy equipment batteries for my Cat loader. The pair was just shy of $300.00 wholesale @ Tennessee Battery in Dickson Tn. I was happy to pick them up for that price. To my way of thinking. I would much rather pay half price for a good brand of aftermarket every five years than to pay double expecting ten years service life. Your last two or three years with those Cat batteries, they were probably not really up to par putting out less than desirable cranking amps. Starters are expensive, and low cranking amps will quickly heat them up and shorten the life of the starter. Deka or Interstate will do the trick. I have a set in my D4-E that came from Tractor Supply due to the fact that I had to replace them on a Sunday morning and nothing else was open when mine died. The TSC batteries are still going strong after two years of service but they cost me more than the Deka and they are smaller and lighter weight. Another consideration, if you have to leave equipment on the job, would you rather loose a set of Cat $700.00 Batteries or a $300.00 set of aftermarkets?

  3. #3old-iron-habit2015-04-09 09:08

    I bought a set of gel style for my F550 from Batteries Plus a few months back. The salesman said they are equal to Interstate but only time will tell the full story. Made it thru this past winter with no issues. He gave me a excellent price as they want to get more of them out there. They were $76.00 cheaper each than the same rated Interstate.

  4. #4boone2015-04-09 23:06

    Bought a pair of Dekas about a year ago for the 175C. They are the Commercial 31P with 1100 cold cranking amps. Not as heavy as Nitelite's 4DHDs, but they have a 18 month full replacement warranty and 4 year pro-rated warranty. $260 out the door. So far so good. We don't keep a charger on them and don't go more than a month without cranking the machine. Been very pleased. The machine had Komatsu dealer (Tractor & Equipment) labeled batteries in it before and they were about 7 years old when they died.

  5. #5DoyleX2015-04-10 07:52

    Caterpillar batteries are made by deka or so im told. I have always gotten 10-12+ years out of genuine cat batteries. The key to long battery life has some to do with the battery but more with the charging system, clean connections and wiring and maintaining the top of the battery.

  6. #6DMiller2015-04-10 16:07

    Just did a search for DEKA in St. Louis, Electro Battery is their distributor, 12201 Dorsett Rd Maryland Heights MO. Less than 1/2 mile off I-270 to the east on Dorsett, north side of road so may have to go down and turn around to get to their shop. Never been dissatisfied with their products.