Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Battery and top roller question

rockbottom · 2025-06-15 10:39

I have a D4GLGP SN:TLX 01002 I had a D5C and it only had 1 starting battery The D4G has two 95 CCA batteries which have both gone dead It it really necessary to have two batteries as i live in southern Ms and this is a farm dozer not a commercial tractor in a cold climate Second question, is there any maintenance or fix for a squeaking top roller beside replacing the roller. Its no bad noise, not constant noise and not frozen up Its a farm use machine Thanks ahead

Replies31
  1. #1rockbottom2025-06-15 10:41

    That was battery and top roller Bad auto spell or my mistake

  2. #2Mquinista2025-06-15 12:18

    Hey there, Easy fix... both... If machine is 24Volt electrical system, unfortunatly u´ll need either a 24volt baterry or the cheapest option 2 12 volt conected in series. Answear yes u need. The rolers can be diassembled cleaned and lubed , closed again and again until the play is too much and seals fail to keep lube inside.

  3. #3Nige2025-06-15 12:33

    Attached the R&I plus parts breakdown for the carrier roller. Regarding batteries the machine has a 12v system so you could always try a single BCI Type 31 battery and if that didn't work add a second one. If you stay with the standard battery size then adding a second one will not cause any problems. There is a big difference between a powershift transmission D5C and the Hystat D4G when it comes to how much electrical ooomph is needed to turn the engine and hydraulics over.

  4. #4rockbottom2025-06-15 13:46

    Thanks again Nige I don't think I could own a dozer without your help Your support is greatly appreciated

  5. #5CM19952025-06-15 14:44

    From my experience with G series dozers specifically a D5G I bought new in 2004 and still have - yes you need two batteries because these machines are terribly finicky on voltage. Why did the 2 batteries go dead?

  6. #6rockbottom2025-06-15 16:27

    Thats a good question Every time I park the dozer I put the battery disconnect key in the off position Both batteries are group 31 NAPA 950 CCA amp batteries Model 7273 commercial batteries I charged them 2 days, never showed full charge I just had them tested at autozone and one tested bad and the other tested weak They are both less than 18 months old Any ideas?

  7. #7Nige2025-06-15 16:36

    Where you got them speaks volumes for their quality. There are better battery brands around, but usually priced more expensive. There is a difference between the requirements for a heavy equipment battery, especially a dozer battery that gets banged and crashed a lot, and a truck battery that has a much easier life. Cat-branded batteries might be expensive but they are the class of the field when it comes to heavy equipment usage. YMMV.

  8. #8Welder Dave2025-06-15 17:21

    A little odd it doesn't use a 4D or 8D battery like older smaller Cat machines had. Two group 31's will be more than adequate though. Best to put them in as a matched pair. If one battery is getting a little weak it will drag the other battery down as well. I'm trying out some group 31 batteries that are made in the Phillipines. They were $100cad. each and no issues after sitting over the winter where it dropped to minus 40 at times and was considered a colder than normal winter. Other group 31's were priced starting at $150 and up.

  9. #9CM19952025-06-15 19:06

    What Nige said - check your Cat dealer. I can buy Cat branded batteries at the dealer for the same price as a comparable HD battery and there is no core charge.

  10. #10willie592025-06-15 20:51

    I know you stated you live in southern MS, which yes, isn't a cold climate area, but if those batteries were dead this past winter and you had just one overnight that was below freezing, those batteries are toast. A charged battery won't freeze, but a dead battery will, and when that happens it will destroy the battery beyond recovery.

  11. #11Welder Dave2025-06-16 03:04

    You have a good Cat dealer. Maybe because you bought a bunch of Cat equipment or other battery sellers are ripping people off?? Even the prices online in Canada, Cat batteries are at least twice as much as other batteries. I got lucky and got a reconditioned Cat 8D battery for $80 I think. I've had very good luck with reconditioned batteries from the Battery Doctor. Some have lasted over 10 years. Shortest is about 6 years but 7 years is pretty common.

  12. #12CM19952025-06-16 19:25

    We get that pricing and we're a small outfit. Not sure about other sellers but when we priced out Cat batteries several years ago and found out their pricing is very competitive we buy most of our batteries there. No core charge is a nice feature as well.

  13. #13rockbottom2025-06-16 22:16

    Good information Thanks

  14. #14heymccall2025-06-16 23:00

    Okay, I thought yunz knew better. Who makes Caterpillar batteries? East Penn. Who makes the Napa 7237? East Penn. Them batteries have a warranty. And, who makes the Napa Startrite 317237? East Penn.

  15. #15heymccall2025-06-16 23:01

    And, while we is talking batteries, why is it that my Caterpillar dealer doesn't take battery cores?

  16. #16Welder Dave2025-06-17 00:12

    Apparently batteries for Cat are heavier duty and built to Cat Specs. They have to meet a specific series of durability, vibration and life expectancy standards. At least that's what Cat says.

  17. #17heymccall2025-06-17 00:53

    Not sure of the innards, but, I can attest to equal performance of Cat, Napa, and Startrite. Finally switching my new employer over from Interstate.

  18. #18Nige2025-06-17 10:05

    I have no idea if the same criteria applies to batteries but just throwing it out there. Donaldson manufacture a lot of Cat-branded filters. However cut open a Cat filter and the Donaldson equivalent and you'll find the internal construction is totally different between two filters that appear identical externally. Do East Penn manifacture Cat-branded batteries to a different design/specification to the ones they manufacture for NAPA/Startrite.?

  19. #19heymccall2025-06-17 13:55

    Never cut any of them open, but, they give the same service life. And unlike Interstate, Exide, Johnson Controls, Diehard, and ACDelco, the East Penn batteries appear to have a superior seal from the post(s) to the plastic case. This is why my battery cable kit is dust covered, as acid no longer leeches around the post seal, causing cable terminal corrosion. The only time I insist on Caterpillar batteries is on my 328Dlcr machines that can't fit 4 batteries for the cold weather kit. There is only room for 2 30H batteries and only Caterpillar offers a 30H with 1000CCA, as opposed to Napa that only offers a 30H with 650CCA. Group 31 batteries come in different flavors (ratings) from all sources.

  20. #20rockbottom2025-06-17 18:25

    Im going to check the price on the Cat group 31battery tomorrow Th NAPA is 157.00 with a core to turn in Free replacement for 18 months from purchase date and pro rated warranty from 18 to 36 months I also wonder about the spec's on the Cat battery compared to others I put a New Holland battery in my big tractor rather than a off-brand

  21. #21heymccall2025-06-17 19:29
  22. #22Simon C2025-06-17 20:53

    I have actually weighed a Cat 8D battery versus a competitors 8D battery and there was 15 pounds difference. Their 4D batteries are a bit heavier also. More plate material is my guess. Simon C

  23. #23willie592025-06-17 21:21

    Which brings up a topic of frustration for me for years, that is, WHY IN THE HELL DO THEY NOT FIT ROPE HANDLES ON A 4D??? Arrrgggggg. They are such a PITA to pull from a tight box without handles! 8D has handles, why do 4D not have them? I mean, they ain't exactly light weight. *** battery mfg's? I'll step off my soap box now.

  24. #24Simon C2025-06-17 21:24

    I have seen some 4D's with handles on the end, but you are right, more guys hurt their backs over these heavy pigs than you can imagine. I get help or it can wait. Simon C

  25. #25Welder Dave2025-06-17 21:33

    I'd think maybe thicker and heavier plates. The 153-5720 I put in was damn heavy. Used a come-a-long hanging from the ROPS to lift it out of the skid steer bucket. By hand would have been especially difficult with the backhoe on my 931B. I had to change the battery when I brought the machine to my property. It was so dead I left the machine running so I could unload it. There is a lip on the panel behind the battery and I couldn't remove it with the backhoe mounted. Then the seat support assembly was in the way. It was a royal PIA to get out without taking the seat support out and just as hard to get the new battery in. I later cut slots in the back panel at the bolt holes so I loosen the bolts and slide the panel up and out. Easy peasy without the backhoe mounted.

  26. #26HarleyHappy2025-06-18 07:14

    If the batteries don’t have handles, I use ratchet strap material and silicone it underneath, looping over the top. You should try and slide some batteries out of bikes, with their tight pockets and wires over the top of them.

  27. #27rockbottom2025-06-18 08:35

    Cat battery cost warranty update Bad news in my opinion Cat replacement by SN is 237.00 and you have to turn in a core or pay 36.00 The battery is 750CCA and has a one year warranty I think I will go with the NAPA at 157.00 950 CCA, 18 months replacement, up to 36 months prorated Strange Cat doesnt have a better warranty if its a better built battery than NAPA especially since both are mfg by the same company Spend 160.00 more, less warranty, less CCA Am I missing something?

  28. #28Nige2025-06-18 09:12

    Maybe. More CCA is not necessarily “better”. To produce more CCA there requires more plates inside the battery which means each one has to be thinner, assuming the same 31 battery frame size. This means the plates in a battery with a higher CCA are usually somewhat less robust and more prone to succumbing to collapse due to vibration. What Part Number did they quote you for.? 3T-5760.? By your TLX01002 machine Serial Number (attached) I see 2 x 9X-3404 batteries that are 950CCA BCI 31 frame size

  29. #29rockbottom2025-06-18 09:18

    I didnt get the part number from them but they did go by the SN i was surprised at the 750CCA but what you said does make since Makes me want to check on the price/warranty on the NAPA 750CCA group 31 price/ warranty

  30. #30CM19952025-06-18 09:43

    Don't know and didn't ask. My guys cut apart the old ones and melt the lead down into shotgun shot. Different dealer different pricing and policy on cores I guess. Haven't checked pricing in several months at our dealer so this could have changed as well.

  31. #31Welder Dave2025-06-18 16:15

    I was told by the founder of a battery recycling shop that it's better to have less CCA because the batteries have thicker plates placed further apart making them more HD and they handle vibration much better. I wouldn't think a manufacturer would specify a battery for a machine that needs the absolute max. CCA's in order to start in colder temps. That's why larger or dual batteries are specified. Batteries are generally oversized anyway. My 931B with 65 HP uses an 8D which is way overkill but I think is specified as it acts as a counterweight for the loader. In a dozer you could easily use a smaller battery.