Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Battery cable crimper

dblaneyfan · 2013-09-18 09:04

Over the last five years we have had a problem with batteries being stolen from dozers. The problem is always made worse by the inconsiderate a$&@#/*s cutting battery cables instead of taking it loose from the post. Makes me think they are doing it more out of meanness, rather than for the scrap price they get for it. Anyway, got tired of using this horrible tool in a tight space where you can't strike anything and I picked up one of these a few years back (bought it on ebay, can be found at HarborFreight, also): It came with dies that looked these And I shaped a couple to look like this Works wonders, haven't hit my hand with it yet, and has not failed yet. This is one of my favorite tool hacks, cost less than $50, so I figured I would share it with the rest of you. Best

Replies6
  1. #1CRAFT2013-09-18 13:51

    Gonna check that out right Now ! …… I don't exactly need one for the same reason you do but BOY for repairing that screwed corroded broken up end, or custom work …… Thanx for the tip !!

  2. #2leisureexpress2013-09-18 15:38

    Slick tip! Here is a link to the one at HF: http://www.harborfreight.com/hydraulic-wire-crimping-tool-66150.html

  3. #3CRAFT2013-10-23 00:44

    dblaneyfan : :update Just got mine today, identical to yours, off of E-Bay from a Canadian seller :canada www.pitoolsplus.com ….. he was an "AWESOME" seller to deal with ….. it was under $70 shipping included ….:slomo …… THANX again for the Awesome TIP !!! :drinkup

  4. #4caterpillarmech2013-10-23 05:53

    Nice. I like my striker one but these newer machines never have a good place to put it to do the crimp. May have to try this. Thanks for the post.

  5. #5ValleyFirewood2013-10-23 07:21

    I've used C clamps before!

  6. #6Birken Vogt2013-10-23 21:26

    I like these better. They are big and pricey but they work by hand and use a hex crimp which I think is better than the indent type. http://www.waytekwire.com/item/460/CRIMP-TOOL-8-GA-TO-250-MCM/