Ok, I posted a few minutes ago about a 1150 Case I was trying to get running. It just hit me like a ton of bricks. What would happen if I hooked up the batteries backwards to the tractor? Sparks at the alternator maybe and a little smoke? Yea, I fell like an idiot. If the sparks and smoke sound like a likely backwards battery please let me know. I don't know why else I would have power at the alternator when the engine is not running. Thanks
Test the hot side of the starter solinoid where your postitive cable contects you should habve power there if you touch the block or bare head with the black needle and the hot side with the red needle you should have around 12v ± 24v which ever your system is and if there back wards it will be -12v ± -24v because you have it bacause you have the cables reversed hope that helps you. Make sure you have batterys wired properly if its 24volt
foursons sparks and smoke are never good , you should always have battery voltage at alternator terminal even when not running
You won't have it there if you have the master switch off though, cause that kills the ground to your batteries. Just trying to make sure you don't overlook the obvious like I do sometimes.