Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

d4h trans oil temp question

tj_farmer ยท 2011-03-20 08:34

seems like my buy on my d4h has been a good one so far, its 55-65* here. under good load of pushing dirt all day, what temp is normal for the trans/tq converter? i read where the buzzer goes off at 250 if i remember right. thks

Replies9
  1. #1GCC2011-03-20 08:47

    My D3C will run round 130- 190 pushing hard in 65-90 this will give you an idea maybe

  2. #2tj_farmer2011-03-20 11:12

    thks maybe someone will chime in with a bigger dozer to see if it creates more heat. mine will run 190-205 after 7 hours on continuous running,(afterlunch) seems like it will run at 160-170ish then heat soak and rise to 200ish as the day goes on..im working farm waterways with pretty long pulls

  3. #3GCC2011-03-20 11:56

    How old is you coolant maybe its getting to its life expectency mine ran around that and I put in all new cat red anti-freeze and it runs cooler but goodluck

  4. #4tj_farmer2011-03-20 13:13

    they arent cooling the trans oil by the coolant are they? im pretty sure theres just a oil cooler in frt on the radiator. my eng coolant temp is only like 180ish, i cant remember for sure, i just know its cool.

  5. #5GCC2011-03-20 13:22

    Ya lol sorry about that I was talking to and employee about an overheat problem on his truck lol and kind of mix the 2 together for get that post I ment to ask what shape your oil is in cause the older the oil the tinner its gets and the hottor you run cause of friction I run 10W-30 for all my fluids except engine oil I got this from cat they told me just use 10W-30 for hyraulic and final drives my wet clutchs and transmission been doing it for 15 years and 8000 hours on this machine and no problems yet knock on wood

  6. #6tj_farmer2011-03-20 13:27

    im running toto4 mbil oil, im pretty sure its 30wt, as to cats specs. im running 50 wt toto4 in the plant.

  7. #7white-elephant2011-06-16 23:16

    I owned 2 D4H and 2 D4HXLlll and 1 D5MXL. All had trouble with working and tracking steep slope while backing down through the torque converter but once I changed my trans fluid to 50 wt., which is recommended also for the finals, it wasn't quite as bad. Now Cat says you can use 30 wt. in everything but this helped with my trans cooling problem. The cooler is actually liquid cooled and runs through the radiator through the hard lines at the bottom tank. You'll find out after you change the radiator cores the first time if you do your own wrenching.

  8. #8JOHNNY332011-06-30 18:39

    I,ve got two D4HXLIII and both trans run around twenty degrees more than the water, so most of the time theyre around the 210 220 mark.

  9. #9tj_farmer2011-07-01 08:27

    thks guys, seems 200 catches mine up to 85*weather, your prob. dealing with 100* weather so thats about right.