I have a ‘97 Raymond narrow aisle forklift ( model 036-csr35tt) and the battery is shot! I am considering replacing it with lithium ion phosphate batteries recommended for golf carts. The original 2300 lb battery is rated at 750amp hours. If I install 3 150 amp hour batteries (36volts each) in parallel I should construct a 450 amp hour substitute. I only use this Raymond rarely and for short durations so I don’t need hours of run time before recharging. These 3 Lithium batteries should generate 600 amps of current and last for 5,000 cycles( according to the manufacturer—- Ogrphy) if I install additional ballast I should be back to functional. Can anyone weigh in on wether this idea is worth spending the $2,700 to bring this low hour (850 hour) unit back from the dead? This battery pack can generate 600 amps continuously and 1,800 amps for 30 seconds.
Contact a reputable Materials Handling company like Anderson Material Handling in Wixom, MI and see if they have a decent used battery for < the $2700 you are considering. A proper new or used battery would keep the machine legal for use, as the way you outline would be an attys wet dream in case of injury. Also assuming you have a proper charger now for the proper size battery, whereas you will need another for you planned arrangement. Anderson name and location was just researched in the last 30 minutes and easily available. I have no connection with or interest in. I am a 90 year old retired company owner of material handling eqpt business for 14 years and 7 years with Clark before that.
Figure in the cost of a new charger, too. Have you calculated the weight difference? Trying to add more counterweight may be the dealbreaker
Thankyou TD24 and Coaldust for your inputs. This forklift is only used by me in my retirement hobby shop, so I don’t think I have to worry about the liability issue. I have researched a used 2300lb battery but the projected lifetime of the reconditioned alternative is probably only about 5 to 7 years whereas the new Li-ion should last much longer. I have enough space in the existing battery compartment to ballast (with steel plates) up to the original 2300lbs. which also eliminates the injury potential. The $2,700 cost includes the new proper chargers. My main concern is whether the 450 amphour alternative would adequately power the Raymond. I also have a Crown electric and think I could use the Raymond solution to power that. I am certainly far from an electrical engineer so I’m worried this proposed solution would be inadequate to power the 11,000 lb Raymond. Thanks again for your time in responding to my dilemma.
Well; you are more than welcome, as all I did was punch a few keys for currently available solutions near you.
I consulted with a friend who is an electrical engineer and we decided to go with 2 Li-iron phosphate 150 amp hour batteries (made by Ogrphy). They will be wired in parallel so we can get 400 amps constant which should do the trick. Reducing from 3 to 2 also leaves more room for the necessary ballast ( and reduces the cost down to $1,800 )