Slf00634 Got a crank no start call this afternoon. After having to spend some time on red herrings (guy said he had changed two fuel lines, so I had to make sure that everything was plumbed right) I found out that the shut off solenoid wasn't getting any power. Solenoid does work with voltage applied. Went to the fuse/relay box and was very sad to see that there was no map and no operator manual. Anybody have access to a fuse box map for this unit? Or a wiring diagram, or any other trouble shooting ideas? I wired in a temporary switch to get it off the jobsite.
I love the customer expressions when u fire up the engine after they’ve been working on it for days/weeks.. lol Then u have to explain to them that it’s NOT fixed.. just bypassed..
the term i use is, it is not fixed, it is currently operating on "creative wiring". Yeah, especially in this sort of situation. The shut down solenoid is the only way that the computer can protect the machine. I explained very clearly that there were only two reasons I was willing to do it. First, this machine is blocking access to one of my core clients job sites and second is because you need this machine to unload a trailer that you borrowed from another client that I need to work on. I could have definitely wired into any key on circuit to run the solenoid, I chose to put a switch in the engine bay to make it a pain for them so that they remembered that it was temporary. Even after explaining the circuit to both the operator on site and the boss, this morning the machine had to be jump started because whoever shut it down last night decided to put the switch back to on (I guess for the convenience). Kind of surprised that it didn't take out the solenoid. From time to time, based on what I know of the operating conditions of a machine, I will bypass something for a non production client. Especially with skid steer interlocks. "Well, the problem is, your seat cushion has pretty much fossilized. And you are not as fat as either me or your brother. So... We can put this jumper wire it to make the machine think that there is an adult person in the seat of your 226 so you can unlock the hydraulics while we wait for cat to get us a new seat." Or... "So... The problem on your New Holland is that your operator presence switch has gone bad. Add to that, even if it was good... The seat base is so rotten that if we put a new one in.... It basically has nothing to hold it. So, while we wait for parts I'm gonna give you this jumper wire. Oh, no. I am not going to install it. I am just going to hand you this piece of wire and explain what it might do. My theory is... If you connect the jumper wire and start the machine you have a pretty good shot of actually being able to operate it. Thing is... You kind of have to remember that you need to unplug it when you shut down the machine. Otherwise, you, know, theoretically.... It is going to leave the machine in key on mode and you will consistently need to jump start it"
I get’m all the time when the flex ring breaks up and clogs the return connector.. I carry one that’s “punched out” and install it, climb into the cab and fire it up and move it out of a ditch.. The look is priceless..