Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Battery requirements for 580k

rdavison39 · 2022-04-04 10:39

I searched the forum but didn't find an answer so here to ask hopefully a simple question. What is the requirement for a 1990 Case 580k battery? My current battery which needs replacing reads 1000 CCA. Is that all i need to look for in a battery or are there other considerations ? Thx

Replies8
  1. #1Delmer2022-04-04 11:30

    many considerations. My choice is to convert it to a 31T if it isn't already set up for threaded terminals instead of the old post and clamp. Then use one 700-750 CCA battery from your local truck dealer. It won't start as well as a 1,000CCA, or two 750's, when it gets below zero F, but how often do you plan to use it well below freezing? Nothing wrong with keeping the post type if they're in good shape, and you're not swapping batteries around with trucks. Just make sure the new one fits the space and the cables reach. I'd still go with a heavy duty 750 over 1,000, but nothing wrong with a good quality 1,000. Some people swear by Cat batteries, they're not as $$$ as you might assume. Any OEM battery is almost always better than anything else I can get, new truck takeouts, even 7-10 years old, are the best batteries I've found.

  2. #2rdavison392022-04-04 12:40

    Thx Delmer for the insight. Ron

  3. #3gggraham2022-04-04 12:53

    Hey rdavison, Ontario here as well. We sell the 31A-1000 batteries ($199) for this unit. If you want dual batteries we'd sell you two 28S-900 ($169.00 ea) In the winter they always started better with the dual batteries. %90 of the machines that left our dealership had the dual batteries.

  4. #4fast_st2022-04-04 13:13

    Also depends on the size of your battery tray, I'm betting a group 31 battery is about what's spec, usually heavier built than automotive batteries to handle more vibration.

  5. #5Steve Favia2022-04-04 14:21

    Just replaced my battery last year case dealer ,group 31,$168.00 didn’t think that was to bad.

  6. #6Swetz2022-04-04 16:39

    This is from Advance Auto. I paid about $10 less in march of 2020. I put 2 in.

  7. #7rdavison392022-04-05 10:00

    Thanks Graham - which is your dealership ?

  8. #8gggraham2022-04-06 11:01

    I'm in Dorchester at Ontario Tractor. We supply parts for Heavy Vehicles.