Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

How to?? DIY hydraulic thumb add on – JCB 4CX / 217S

Piston · 2022-04-04 05:17

I’m considering buying an older ‘94 JCB 4CX/217S. It does not have an extendable or thumb on it. I’d like to add a hydraulic thumb. I already have a manual thumb I can weld on, but would like to make it hydraulic. What is the most cost effective way to add a hydraulic circuit for a thumb to this machine?

Replies4
  1. #1Tinkerer2022-04-04 14:05

    A manual six way hydraulic diverter valve, plumbed into a stabilizer circuit was the best option for me. I bought the valve on eBay for $90.00. I highly recommend that method. An electrically controlled valve would be a better option for some folks doing the installation. I went manual because I didn't want to go through the additional work to run and connect wires.

  2. #2Piston2022-04-05 10:26

    Thank you. Can you share any details on how you plumbed it in? Did you just tee into the supply and return? Assuming closed center hydraulics.

  3. #3Tinkerer2022-04-05 11:28

    All the details are in this THREAD. No tees are needed. The two lines of the RH stabilizer are connected to the diverter valve.

  4. #4Piston2022-04-05 14:46

    Thank you Sir! That is excellent information and will prove very helpful to me!