Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bay City Florida swamp digger

DarrylMueller ยท 2009-03-13 22:31

Has anyone ever seen the rig that Bay City made around the 30's that cut ditches in Florida and drained the swamps and made the land usable. I saw parts of one somewear in Florida and a park had it as a monument. I think the shovel was missing at the monument some ware in Florida. It was made of large round tubing, it walked and had like 35 hp. gas engine. I have always wonder what it looked liked?

Replies5
  1. #1DarrylMueller2009-04-11 02:00

    I did a search and here it is: BAY CITY WALKING DREDGE NO.489 A NATIONAL HISTORIC MECHANICAL ENGINEERING LANDMARK COLLIER-SEMINOLE STATE PARK http://209.85.173.132/search?q=cach...ined+florida+swamps"&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

  2. #2DarrylMueller2009-04-11 02:24

    Bay City Walking Dredge 1924 The pdf file has pictures this has been on my mind for years. The story I read years ago only had part of the rig. The pdf file has actual pictures of the machine. http://files.asme.org/ASMEORG/Communities/History/Landmarks/1280.pdf If the link doesn't work I will copy pictures when I get a chance. This is a real treasure find.

  3. #3JDOFMEMI2009-04-11 02:45

    Great find Darryl Thanks for sharing it.

  4. #4DarrylMueller2009-04-12 02:23

    Bay City Walking Dredge 1924 PDF files converted to jpeg. If you can't read the print download the pdf. It's interesting reading. Production 700 yards per day. And only weighed 625 LB. per sf.

  5. #5DarrylMueller2009-04-12 02:30

    Bay City Walking Dredge 1924 Last pictures pdf converted to jpeg.