Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bc and AB who is busy in the winter

reaper020 ยท 2009-08-30 12:12

I am looking to reloacte for work and I was wondering which company's are busy in the winter. I can't afford another long layoff this winter who should i talk to in the patch? what kind of positions are usually in demand eg. backhoe, excavator, dozer....

Replies6
  1. #1ben46a2009-08-30 23:59

    Oil sands/fort mac is a craphole, but work is year round and good pay.

  2. #2cummins052009-08-31 17:39

    Drilling is pretty much at a stand still as compared to couple years ago there are lots of operator's I know that have been out of work for over 9 months now. my advice to you would be to hit the goverment Canada job bank and secure work before the move.

  3. #3reaper0202009-09-03 01:25

    Thanks for the replys. it sure is tuff all over. not sure how i am going to make the winter after working 8's all year and getting layed off soon.

  4. #4Partsdude2009-09-03 16:44

    Drilling is dead in Northeast BC, with the one bright spot being Fort Nelson and the Horn River Project. Good luck getting in with anyone up there though as everyone is bidding low and its not who you know its who you ... well you know :Banghead First Coal Corporation has had some good news out of Chetwynd, maybe that is something you'd consider? Fort Crack is a hole, but like it was said earlier lots of work. The pay really isn't that good when you consider the cost of living and housing prices. Good Luck on your search!

  5. #5reaper0202009-09-06 22:56

    I have herd rumors that fort nelson is supposed to be busy and stay resonably busy but I must be looking in the wrong place because there are very few jobs posted on the job bank. is there any other good places to look or would it be better to take a trip up there. I am trying to narrow down my search for work this winter as i can't travel and apply everywhere. its a tuff year to find work.

  6. #6JTL2009-09-06 23:37

    I see the work situation is just as crappy up North as it is down here. Somethings gonna have to give pretty soon, or both of our economies are gonna flush!