Hello, We run a 2005 vermeer bc1000xl wood chipper with about 1200 hours on it. The clutch bearing kit has been upgraded and the throw out bearing just went for the second time in just over a year. I have been reading a lot and some pages suggest that it may have something to do with alignment on the pressure plate but that was on pages about vehicles but I figured the concept was the same, I am NOT a mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, I mostly break things. I have been digging trying to find someone else that has had the same issues with this bearing, it is the bearing that the bottom part of the belt rides on that is moved by the clutch lever. I will attach pictures. We are going to order parts Monday and have it repaired but was hoping maybe someone will have an idea of what could be continuing to cause this issue. thank you, Jonathan Ps I know it’s kind of a terrible picture but if you’re familiar with this chipper you will know what it is of. The bearing that the belt rides on is rubbing on the metal that the bearing rides on which it is not supposed to be doing. There is supposed to be about 1/8 inch of space there.
Vermeer calls that a "clutchless" drive and belt tensioner engagement. So this is not a throw out bearing, more of a power transmission issue. You could try some better pictures so we can figure out what's going on. or try to figure out what's wrong by learning more about it, I'd suggest Audels millwrights and machinist book series. Or take it to a farm machinist, even/especially an Amish one if there are any nearby.
I will take more pictures tomorrow morning. Our mechanic has replaced it once before when it was worse than it is now. We were unaware of the issue and continued to run it for half a day after it twisted. Here is the part diagram. I guess the best way to put it is number 3 that the belt rides on is twisted and riding against the metal housing labeled 7.
#3 uses a split taper lock bushing, "browning bushing" around here. Those are the best thing since sliced bread for any ag or amish machinist. If that's sliding, it wasn't tightened up enough. Get the torque figure for the little bolts that hold the split bushing in, use a torque wrench on them putting it together, and then every hour of running until they don't move anymore. Then every day until they don't move, then every week until they don't move. Now if the shaft is sliding in the bearings, that's tougher. Or if the shaft is not parallel with the other shaft the belts ride on, that will have to be fixed.
Here is some better pictures.
Maybe it is me or the photo angle but; it looks slightly out of alignment.