Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

BC3 cam & follower issue

Hallback · 2018-12-05 16:01

So, of course this happens to my favorite truck that some jackass had to get into and drive while his was down. My suspicion is he ran it too high of RPM banging it off the Jakes and it ate up the cam follower and camshaft. Question is, is this camshaft salvageable or should I just put a new one in it.?

Replies86
  1. #1Hallback2018-12-05 16:01

    To me it looks like the very right Edge and left edge of that cam lobe is showing copper like it is down to the core material.

  2. #2Junkyard2018-12-05 17:29

    Personally I wouldn’t chance it...time to open her up. Issue to me is saving a little now might cost a lot more later. Is it by chance half close to needing an OH while it’s down? That sucks man. I feel your pain!

  3. #3Hallback2018-12-05 17:40

    It just had an inframe done before I purchased it and we have the paperwork on it. It has maybe 11,000 miles on the in frame. What I think is they did not know how to set the overhead and the cam followers as we had an issue with number one cylinder here bending a push tube at 9500 miles. Now we know why the push tube bent because that cam follower was sticking I believe.

  4. #4Junkyard2018-12-05 18:07

    Hmmm yeah that’s a telling sequence of events

  5. #5RZucker2018-12-05 18:11

    I think it was more along the lines of a mis-adjusted injector or possibly a jake. Never heard of a sticking Cummins cam follower.

  6. #6Hallback2018-12-05 18:16

    We also got a new injector for that cylinder because it was blubbering fuel due to miss adjustment.

  7. #7Hallback2018-12-05 18:18

    Hopefully we can get it straightened out as it is my favorite truck that we have in the fleet. It is going to retire to just my hobby truck I believe.

  8. #8RZucker2018-12-05 20:06

    This opens up a can of worms... Same shop both times?

  9. #9Hallback2018-12-05 20:12

    The original issue, the bent the push tube I believe was a misadjusted injector and once the push tube was replaced and injector was adjusted correctly I believe it was already damaged and beyond help thus this new/root issue arising.

  10. #10Truck Shop2018-12-05 20:19

    What big cam is it III or IV? Replace the cam and follower/followers and check the cam bearings. Depending on the timing code I always set II's, III's backed up a little. If timing is say 70 I would always set them at 72 or 73 it will give them more hang time between shifts. Plus was that cam changed out when it was inframed? probably not. If that engine had previously been over fueled by 20% plus, It will shorten cam life by the same amount with a lead foot. The pressure on the cam lobe goes up drastically when over fueling with stock injectors. Stock rail pressure should be roughly 185, mine would hit 300. With ten orifice injectors it dropped to about 240, and that is still pretty high. I ran a liquid filled fuel pressure gauge so I knew what was going on under hard throttle. I love to tell this about that engine in my 66, with the KT 1" pump and ten orifice injectors under steady hard throttle the pyro would climb to 1100. You could mash the throttle and watch the pyro drop there was so much fuel entering the cylinders it would dowse the flame. Truck Shop

  11. #11Truck Shop2018-12-05 20:26

    I'll take two of those worms and raise you four spiders.

  12. #12RZucker2018-12-05 20:43

    I have a couple of BIG black widows under the benches. I think they eat the mice. You don't dare grab a box without taking a good look.

  13. #13RZucker2018-12-05 20:46

    This is why I will not hop up an engine unless I am the driver.

  14. #14Tenwheeler2018-12-05 21:48

    Put a new one in it. Sounds like someone was out of sequence while running the overhead.

  15. #15Hallback2018-12-05 23:20

    Okay now that we all agree that it needs a new cam and rocker boxes as needed, who would you go through for the camshaft?

  16. #16RZucker2018-12-05 23:24

    Cummins, and Cummins only. JMO.

  17. #17Truck Shop2018-12-06 07:21

    Hallback, what is the cpl on this engine? Truck Shop

  18. #18Vetech632018-12-06 07:26

    Pay the money for the OEM. I've used aftermarket only twice and had to replace both of them again.

  19. #19Hallback2018-12-06 08:44

    I will have my mechanic get the CPL this am.

  20. #20Hallback2018-12-06 10:34

    CPL is 891 I believe.

  21. #21Truck Shop2018-12-06 14:12

    To me if the overheads were adjusted wrong it should have run like a sack full *** holes. I think that cam was possibly bad when inframed. Truck Shop

  22. #22Hallback2018-12-06 15:38

    It ran like a Cat with a turpentine'd ass! Really pulled well, I bet you are right TS.

  23. #23Truck Shop2018-12-06 18:52

    891 is a III and the only cpl in the 800 series, Does that pump still have the seal on the plunger cover on the back? If it's *** is turpentine'd I'm willing to bet it's got a #5 or #7 button and shimmed for rpm beings it's a logger. Stock button would be a #32 or #37 IIRC which would put it at 35 to 40 % over fueled and that's strictly a guess. No load from standing idle cracking the throttle hard a 30% over fueled big cam will sound like a PC Cat, really rattles. Some years ago a logger that use to haul on the west side now and then would come in to the shop I worked at in Eburg and have us put his Hot Rod pump on so he could run with the bunch on the west side. Truck Shop

  24. #24petepilot2018-12-06 20:24

    a sack full of a$$holes lol never heard that one before

  25. #25Tenwheeler2018-12-06 20:57

    The ones I saw done like that did not run well enough to leave the shop. They readjusted them, replaced push tubes and such. They left running fine but damage could have already been done. Regardless of the cause bad is bad. We used to just replace the bad rollers and always replaced the lock pins also.

  26. #26RZucker2018-12-06 21:33

    Confession: I bent a bunch of pushtubes once on an old smallbore 335. Turned out somebody replaced the accessory drive without timing it.

  27. #27Hallback2018-12-06 22:45

    I really hope I get it sorted out this next week here as it needs to just go into retirement as a hobby truck.

  28. #28StanRUS2018-12-07 04:51

    Hallback, Later OEM Cummins BC3s use crowned camshaft lobes and rollers. If you purchase recon Cummins lower boxes; use a pressurized engine oil source to flush out any assembly crap before installing on the engine. Pressurized oil source: Clean weed sprayer type pumped to 15psi. Fab a flat metal plate held on by 2 bolts-nuts, lower box gasket and drill-tap 1/8" PT hole to allow oil to enter the boxes lube oil orifice. Manually work the rockers and rollers for 10 minutes per lower rocker box. Use a clean catch pan and paint gun filter to determine if particles are flushed out. MAYBE Cummins recon parts have improved, I don't trust them. Truck Shop / RZucker, Did you guys ever see Custom Stainless exhaust manifolds for Cummins Small Cams; featured exhaust port stainless steel stuffers to raise flow rates (velocity and cfm)? Installed on Safeway's fleet early 80s to increase fuel mileage. Soon after Cummins came out with small exhaust port heads. Preluber and Lower Rocker Box Plate (with Cat **** stains)

  29. #29Truck Shop2018-12-07 07:42

    Don't remember any stainless, I've been in been in just about every III cpl there is and I don't remember any crowned lobes on rollers or cams. Picture please. Truck Shop

  30. #30StanRUS2018-12-07 17:26

    Not surprising; reflecting a bit (old memory), Stainless aftermarket ‘pulsed exhaust manifolds’ were available prior to introduction of Cummins Big II / 1979. The manifolds were developed by Calif off-road racing airflow expert, his name ? My memory won’t cooperate. Probably not over 150 stainless manifolds produced, expensive to fabricate using round 309 stainless tubing, 6 pipes into cast stainless center section that looks like Cummins cast iron pulsed manifold. All about retaining heat energy; i.e. higher exhaust gas velocity to spin up turbo quicker. Cummins camshafts with crowned lobes; you cannot see crowning with naked eye , crown ½ degree or less across lobes parallel to cam center line. OEM effort to reduce lobe failures after introduction of PTD-TopStop-DFF injectors, pneumatic variable timing, step timing; emissions regulations beginnings. Maybe Pumpguy has Service Bulletins, I trash canned all of that subscription literature and engine advertising brochures. Spam, couple photos of 1962 DIY proto-type rear cam bearing removal tool. Bitch digging out rear cam bearing while in-framing without pulling trans, bellhousing.

  31. #31petepilot2018-12-07 18:51

    you brought up 2 things i thought everybody had forgotten custom cal sc manifold and cam bearing tool still have one of those not diy though. custom stainless manifold i had on a400 magnum diy project. i got little over 435 out of a sc that stayed together for a162k miles that i ran it. sold the truck and then lost any further contact with the buyer so don`t know how long it lasted after

  32. #32Truck Shop2018-12-07 19:57

    Cam bearing tool I have, But never saw a stainless exhaust manifold but not surprised either if only 150 made. And the crowned cam, I dug through several of my books and manuals and found info about it but it also never really changed the wear or longevity. The cam replacement is the same for all big cams except some IV's because of lobe lift plus those use different pistons/valve reliefs. Actually it was a silly idea because it put more wear in one area of the cam lobe, probably thought it allowed more oil on the lobe. Truck Shop

  33. #33Hallback2018-12-07 21:37

    Keep going guys, I'm drinking in all of this information and knowledge!

  34. #34Shimmy12018-12-07 22:23

    Sad thing is, no matter how much we'd like to learn about all of this, guys like T/S, RZ, and Stan have forgotten more than we could ever possibly learn. Agree completely with the fact it's awesome reading these threads though. Thanks guys for sharing your stories.

  35. #35RZucker2018-12-07 23:14

    Don't give me too much credit... I still learn new stuff every day. It does hide some of the old stuff though.

  36. #36John C.2018-12-07 23:18

    I bet you say that to all the young mechanics

  37. #37RZucker2018-12-08 00:18

    Actually I do, showing them a touch of humility seems to stop that "I know everything" attitude. Worst guy I ever dealt with was halfway through a 2 year course at the local community college, totally wasted his tuition and had zero mechanical aptitude. But he could tell the other guys he was smarter than me because he was "Educated", too bad his education didn't teach him how to adjust a clutch or how to find problems in trailer wiring.

  38. #38Truck Shop2018-12-08 07:33

    Yeah will every time someone notices a red spot or bump on my bald head they say looks like you bumped your head. I always reply {those are knowledge knots from the last job}. Everyday I learn something just about as soon as I get out of bed. Truck Shop

  39. #39John C.2018-12-08 09:31

    My moto, "if you aren't getting better, you are getting worse."

  40. #40Hallback2018-12-08 10:47

    There are many guys on my crew that constantly comment how I must be super smart or how they can't believe I figured something out, that I'm a genius, I just look at them and laugh and say no, it's because I've torn it up three or four times before and I've always been too poor to pay somebody else to fix it.

  41. #41Shimmy12018-12-08 11:25

    Growing up, times were always too lean to hire anything done unless it was something impossible for us to do on our own. In 25 years, I only recall 5 repairs in a shop. Excavator rotec, dozer transmission, a Detroit 6n-71 rebuild, and 2 engine swaps. The engine swaps only were only paid for because they were in the heart of the season and we couldn't afford to stop working to do it ourselves. Many times a year I realize how *lucky* I was to grow up that way and have to learn how to fix, even if at the time I wanted to run the machine off a cliff with myself in it.

  42. #42RZucker2018-12-08 12:38

    Most of my knowledge knots were put there by somebody else trying to teach me when I was young and arrogant.

  43. #43Truck Shop2018-12-08 18:07

    I do a right fine job of finding sharp objects or sharp angle cut wire ties with my noggin. Then I ask which ******* put that there. Truck Shop

  44. #44Hallback2018-12-08 19:19

    Ah, the age-old torture tool called an angle cut zip tie!

  45. #45Nige2018-12-09 05:46

    Yeah, just like the concrete wall I head-butted the other week while helping the wife stow away all the patio/garden furniture for the winter. When she offered to help I should have just said "No thanks, I'll manage by myself". At least then if I'd drawn blood I would have had no-one to blame other than myself.

  46. #46kshansen2018-12-09 15:30

    That was one of the negatives of working the last several years in the shop by my self, could not blame anyone other than myself for those kind of things!

  47. #47DMiller2018-12-11 10:25

    Is old school but a oil filled pushrod will eventually either bend or experience end cap failure, either way if left unattended long enough will allow the follower to slap the cam cannot remember any that dragged hard enough to scuff but a few did cam box roller/pin/rocker damage.

  48. #48kshansen2018-12-11 14:19

    I always gave push rods the tap test. Just tap them on something hard like you were playing a drum and it was obvious from the dull thud which ones were oil filled. And for good measure give a tug and twist on the ends to feel for looseness!

  49. #49DMiller2018-12-11 14:23

    Still could have had one fail in between. We called it Ringing them, let them slip to a vise or hammer head through the fingers, even to the shop floor if clean enough.

  50. #50StanRUS2018-12-11 14:37

    Cummins Remedy, drill 1/16" pushrod oil drain hole. I do not on inject pushrod; pushrods make okay hyd-jack handles etc. Hallback's cam failure looks like mechanic's inject adjustment procedure caused. IMO, 75% of cam lobe failures are caused by incorrect, sloppy inject/valve adjustment procedure. Outer Base Circle = Torquing Injector Plunger to set Pre-Load. Injector Plunger to Cup contact, requires bottoming out plunger 4-5 times to squish the fuel out. Use VS accessory drive pulley timing marks. Old timers used short thick blade screwdriver, feeling-guessing torque. Higher tech, in-lb torque wrenches; beam, dial and best clickers type. Clicker type better? Easier to adjust all injectors equally with a calibrated in/lb torque wrench. Re-Calibrated? I do not see that often. Torquing Rocker Adjustment Screw Locknuts. Another variable; you can alter inject adjustment or valve clearance by over-torquing the lock nuts. Remedy use Snap-on type Cummins torque wrench adapter. Later model engines', lock nut are not hardened and lose torquing ability after repeated usage > replace with OEM part. Inner Base Circle = Measuring injector's plunger travel @ 19deg BTDC for each cylinder. Injector plunger is @ 0.2035" above cup-tapered angle; i.e. stroke distance to travel injecting fuel. Requires 2 engine revolutions to adjust all injectors/valve clearances. More accurate injector adjustment; i.e. visually reading the actual plunger travel to 0.001" accuracy. Still requires bottoming injector plunger out 4-5 times to squish the fuel out. Altering Static Injection Timing to Prolong Camshaft Service Life: Fast Timing = Advanced; fuel is injected while the piston is lower in the cylinder; injector plunger travel 0.2035" @ 19deg BTDC plus injector roller-follower travel = 0.00 inches. Say 0.034" Increased mechanical-hydraulic pressure required to push the fuel through the injectors' orifices = increased roller-to-cam lobe pressure. Slow Timing = Retarded: fuel is injected while the piston is higher in the cylinder: injector plunger travel 0.2035" @ 19deg BTDC plus injector roller-follower travel, say 0.056" Decreased mechanical-hydraulic pressure required to push the fuel through the injectors' orifices (longer stroke = longer duration) = decreased roller-to-cam lobe pressure. Cylinder pressure is higher @ retarded timing. Piston's crown-bowl is closer to TDC; important to use injector cups with the correct orifice angle and cup protrusion. Cylinder block-height; shaved block (below spec) also changes the relationship, piston-crown bowl to TDC distance. Squirting fuel toward the upper-outside of the cylinder = shortening engine life, excessive smoke etc. Good machinist will stamp shaved valve on the deck 0.007"-0.015" etc. If you're assembling block with low-deck height (measured) use thicker head gaskets to establish 'as new' distance. Part 1 ______________________________________

  51. #51kshansen2018-12-11 14:45

    And while we are talking about oil filled push rods, do not cut one with a torch or even a chop-saw. I was shown pictures many years ago at a Cummins school I went to where a guy had done just that and the oil flashed and caused the push rod to burst and burned the guy's hand bad.

  52. #52StanRUS2018-12-11 15:44

    I seldom fine oil filled pushrods and use hand hacksaw or die-grinder cutoff wheel to cut for other uses. If the socket is loose, remove, clean and re-braze. Compression release equipped, for Calif on-highway usage (later engines, not NH200 or earlier with single-double disc fuel pumps) discard compression release control shaft and exhaust pushrods. 1) control shaft is softer than the pushrod bonnet and shaves away steel causing oil-particle contamination. 2) bored drivers play, using compression release to smoke their buddies; causes damage.

  53. #53StanRUS2018-12-11 18:57

    Part 2 How long could petepilot DIY Mag-435 last? How about 24 years, average 74K miles per year (+1,750,000mls) regional hauls, drivers paid hourly? Small Cam OEM Magnum 400Hp CPL 695 updating using BC parts is a good example of using ‘retarded injector timing > 0.056”, low pressure PTD injectors > 181C and low pressure PTG pump > 154psi to extend engine and camshaft service life . Corona Clay New 1972 KW#2-W900-NTC SC-350-13 speed, Jake, single stack muffler-exhaust, no A/C, no fan/clutch, pwr-str, 750 luberfiner, standard fuel filter...S. Cal Truck-Pup regional hauling, plant-to-plant, on-off road / product delivery, drivers paid by the hour. Maintenance intervals: 3750.00mls oil-filters, fuel-filter, air-cleaner Delo-series 3-30wt...switch to 8,000mls Delo-series 3 15-40wt change intervals. Chevron diesel, truck yard pump. Random: Inject/Valve adjustments > procedures: Used OBC-72lb/in, 0.014”/0.027” and IBC-Dial Indicator Plunger Travel / 0.011”/0.023” minus 200degs. Twin stacks, not req’d. Twin air cleaners, helps or large cfm single. To be continued maybe

  54. #54Truck Shop2018-12-11 19:02

    Stans note on deck height is important, probably more so than fast or slow timing. The biggest problem today is the fact that the engine in this discussion hasn't been in production for on road since 1992. Most blocks are not straight on deck surface plus the water ports are eroded and counter bores are toast. Some years back I was long blocking 855's for a diesel machine shop at a shop I worked at. I did somewhere in the neighborhood of 90 long blocks and probably 30 of those were completes. The reason for setting injector timing on cylinders #1, 3 & 5 is to get them even and the only way that's done is with different thickness of gaskets shimming the follower boxes. One of the reasons for this is that the blocks were not bored for cam exactly straight from the factory. The decks on any blocks I assembled were marked on the rear of the deck with a -3, -5 and so on for amount removed from deck surface. This day and age it's totally plausible that a block could have been decked twice maybe even three times but really rare at three. On any I assembled I stamped my initials on the deck also. Set injector first then valves. Outer base or inner base method is great just get it right the first time around then bar through it again and recheck your valve settings. Next thing is the counter bores, IMO any block that has repair sleeves installed to save the block is on borrowed time, wasn't worth doing to begin with. Cummins started installing repair sleeves as a last ditch effort to salvage there pile of junk cores. Cummins was running short on good blocks for their Cummins Recon engines so they installed the repair sleeves in blocks that had cracked and previously over bored for 20-40 liners. The problem with the repair sleeve was one was cut into the adjacent repair sleeve leaving no actual block material between counter bores. Very weak repair, those blocks should have been scraped. But it got bad enough that Cummins started using new blocks in the Recon line-up. So you could have bought a Recon that had a new block. But in a previous thread about the stupid repetitive mistakes that companies make Cummins and the 855 had one great big flaw. {The engineers at Cummins refused to correct the real problem, {BORE SPACING} no meat between the counter bores was the inherent problem with the 855.} If the block had been redesigned with 3/4 of an inch more deck surface the engine would have had less counter bore head gasket issues. But later on with the NT88 and lower press fit liners part of that did get better. IMO Truck Shop

  55. #55petepilot2018-12-11 19:38

    thats a good lookin b

  56. #56petepilot2018-12-11 19:52

    keep it up you just recounted a job almost to a t done in1981 ooops make that83

  57. #57Truck Shop2018-12-12 07:44

    How the hell did this thread go from a problem on a BCIII follower/cam to a small cam magnum that cummins only produced in 87. There was a reason the small cams were discontinued and big cams arrived on the seen. But even that has no bearing on Hallback's problem. Truck shop

  58. #58DMiller2018-12-12 07:50

    Worked Continental Engine Rebuilders for a short time, they INSISTED on installing upper bore sleeves mainly to pay for the damned machine to do that as was seriously expensive. They had a grand time explaining away the coolant seeping nightmares they sent out, I left after a short/long three months. Also had problems getting the Foreskins to accept replacing MORE parts in the RT9509s and RTO9513s we were rebuilding, most were slop togethers on the cheap and did NOT last. SQHP, SQ100s were the typical third members we saw, had a few odd Eatons a few fewer yet Corn Queen and nobody would work them except me as I had time on all of them, Riveted ring gears scared the hell out of some of the guys I worked with, I would NOT accept the bolting kits knowing they routinely failed where rivets if done properly out lasted the gears.

  59. #59StanRUS2018-12-12 11:53

    Truck Shop, The reason for Magnum was so Cummins could get rid of small cam engine cores. petepilot, myself DIY Magnums preceded Cummins; not brain science just using BC parts on small cam engines. Also work with NTC335s, non aftercooled for 400Hp, narrow nose Pete butter-fly hood type. Cummins camshafts/roller followers regardless of Small Cam, Big Cam do have a bearing on Hallback's problem. ALL share a common failure mode; failures by sloppy/wrong adjustment procedures. ALL share a remedy to help prolong cam service life; i.e. retarding timing and using lower pressure high flow injectors, PT pumps with lower pressure. Prolonging liner-ledge service life is also a benefit of using retarded injector timing. My reason for including KW#2 example; timing new per CPL spec 0.0325"-0.036", per 1st in-frame 0.046", per 2nd in-frame 0.056" Advanced timing rattles liners, wearing liner ledges. Retarded timing is like a slow hard push; per dyno tests = increased torque/hp, per off-road torque converter equipment specification, engine using PTR pumps. Also per driver's seat of pants, pulls like a tractor; i.e. increased lugging power. FYI crowned roller followers and cam lobes are not a 'silly idea' but based upon sound engineer design. Follower rollers are crowned to prevent edge loading; steel deformed under load ditto camshafts. Crowning is used by most major OEMs, high-perf off road, aircraft engines. ADT AR855 Stainless Pulsed Manifold Designed by James J. Fueling and Garry Shidner, patented reverse flow flange design, mileage increase 0.7th. Cummins changed exhaust port design; smaller increasing velocity; i.e. killed the AR855 manifold Hallback's BCIII cyl-block if produced after Sept 87 has increased upper deck thickness, 1.0" to use LPF liners. LPF liners were a design carry over from KT-series engines. Advantages of LPF liners 1) the liner press fit is increased over the circumference area [more sq-inches] 2) held more securely lower in the block [approx 3/8” lower] 3) being held more securely in the block helps eliminate seeping head gaskets [increased support reduces liner movement @ circumference-liner ledge and ledge to top of counterbore] 4) extends liner-ledge service life [increased liner support lower in cyl-block with increased surface area] 5) helps eliminate cavitation corrosion-pitting caused by liner movement [combustion forces cause expansion-contraction, bubbles > cavitation corrosion-pitting] 6) reduces ring-blow-by [reduced cylinder distortion > caused by combustion forces; piston compression ring moved upwards > improved liner support in the highest cylinder pressure areas @ TDC] 7) helps prevent head bolt thread cracking [lots of cracked threads are mechanic’s error; i.e. did not clean out coolant-oil before installing the head, causes hydraulic pressure cracking] note; 4) above: Cummins-Cat use/recommend using a stainless shim allowing polishing-wear to occur to the shim, instead of liner ledge wear note; 6) above: emissions > combustion gases trapped between the upper compression ring-cylinder wall increase No2. Hopefully Hallback can connect dots and question whomever repairs his retire-toy truck if he doesn't do the engine repairs himself.

  60. #60StanRUS2018-12-12 12:38

    Majority of Engine Machine Shops insist on machining cylinder block areas that are per OEM's guidelines not a issue. Liner ledges, slightly corroded coolant transfer holes, decks. Yes, helps pay for expensive machine tools. Short/long 3 months employment duration; large employee turn over? At least you were familiar with mechanical engine assembly. That is a constant problem with machine shops, low pay and cannot keep experienced journeyman machinist. I put a stop to sending blocks out for repairs, typical D346 V8 over $3,500.00; equipment manager receiving a kick-back. Not broke, don't fix it.

  61. #61DMiller2018-12-12 14:27

    My choice to leave, could not stand putting my name on crap work they insisted on. GAVE them the time to make a difference, failed to, that and the general Foreman was taught to "Keep the Employee ANGRY as they will Work Harder" philosophy, did not work as far as I could see, just a lot of pissed off employees NOT working very hard in general.

  62. #62Truck Shop2018-12-12 18:25

    The fact is stan {I don't need a lesson on big cam cummins} And the standard timing code for a small cam was 36* And yes the Magnum was another way for cummins to get rid of junk. And the magnum timing was advanced to 56* it was as far as I remember the only small cam that was ADVANCED that far not retarded. You are trying to compare small cam timing to big cam timing codes and two totally different camshaft profiles. Most camshaft failures were do to Not running the overheads and proper oil change intervals plus over fueling. Truth be known. Plus I spent six years in automotive machine, because I decked a lot of heads, blocks and line bored til hell wouldn't have it I suppose I'm one of those guys. end of discussion with me. Truck Shop

  63. #63RZucker2018-12-12 20:19

    Had a boss like that way back, When he would come to shop and stir the ****, I would do whatever I could to make him mad... then he would leave and normalcy would set back in. Later he got demoted and I got his position, the GM told me to fire him... NO... he got most of the nasty jobs and kept doing them. Go figure?

  64. #64petepilot2018-12-12 20:29

    was definately advance from 36 to 56 using an offset cam key of which I do not remember the number

  65. #65td25c2018-12-12 21:37

    I like these threads . Just had a customer call about some problems with a big cam 290 in a 1979 Kenworth . A lot of blow by ! I'm guessing a cracked or busted piston . Long story short we " in framed " the truck about 17 years ago . I'm like … Yeah , we will build it again . Be interesting to see what the cam looks like ? Time will tell . Bottom end kit set us back a whopping $ 1,200.00 Old school 855 Cummins engines rock ! Almost as good as Detroit

  66. #66Junkyard2018-12-12 21:46

    Almost.....but not quite!

  67. #67RZucker2018-12-12 22:03

    Almost... maybe.

  68. #68StanRUS2018-12-12 22:40

    All Cummins form day one: Direct Quite from Service Manual. **Advanced timing means the fuel is injected earlier into the cylinder during the compression stroke, Retarded timing means the fuel injection occurs closer to TDC in the cylinder. **The amount of push rod travel determines the time of fuel injection in relation to the piston position. The higher the numerical value of the push rod travel remaining indicates a greater degree of retarded or slow timing. The lower the numerical value of the push rod travel remaining indicates a greater degree of fast timing. ** Injection timing changes are accomplished by advancing or retarding the cam follower action to the piston position. This is accomplished by changing the orientation of the camshaft lobe to the cam follower using different camshaft gear keys. ( emphasis Cummins) Note: Advanced = moving cam follower (roller) towards the inside of the engine. Retarded = moving cam follower (roller) away from the inside of the engine. Adding or removing follower box gaskets or using offset keys, or combination gasket/keys. All Cummins C,J,H, NH, NTs, BC1,2,3,4 Vs, Ks use 19degree BTDC, position of injector plunger 0.2035" Cummins JUNK put beans of the table for 10 of thousands of truckers. petepilot. SC high Hp camshafts, all numbers originating from > 143450 ,3023229, 3023177,152960, 3023229, 3608842

  69. #69RZucker2018-12-13 00:15

    Not sure here, Its been 20+ years since I timed a set of followers with the dual indicators… But iirc fewer gaskets/shims RETARDED timing, Not advanced it. The cam does turn opposite the crank rotation. Seemed that a 335 with a straight up key and no gaskets would be about 29 degrees retarded?

  70. #70StanRUS2018-12-13 02:53

    You guys are confusing advanced-retarded Couple photos KT19 manual (18.7liter) 6.25"X6.25" in-line 6 cyl engines. Higher the HP slower the injection timing > retarded. KTA700-C / 700Hp-0.144". KTs; no follower boxes and gaskets. All timing adjustments are by using straight or off-set keys. Test cam gear honed out for injector timing of 1 cylinder; measure and correct per timing charts worksheet. Heat regular cam gear in oven, install. Photo view from front of engine KTs @ Tier3 final are still in usage. IMO, probably best to limit discussions to Hallback's BC3 in this thread. We learn everyday; lots our prior knowledge is disproven everyday, another page for your book.

  71. #71StanRUS2018-12-13 18:38

    Additional information that pertains to Hallback’s BC3 cam & follower issue 855s are obsolete for on-highway usage in S. Cal; 855s are still used for AG operations that are exempted and do not require CARB registration. One customer is running 17 Case 8-tire AG tractors with 855s; engines still require repairs.

  72. #72DMiller2018-12-14 07:59

    N14 is next up and is already a aged system, 855s and the 1150 are fast becoming relics of our past. Those with the 3406, 3408, 1693 Cats and the old DD Two strokers.

  73. #73Hallback2018-12-14 08:54

    Hell, I still have a D343 in the Skagit!

  74. #74StanRUS2018-12-14 09:26

    All good to go for farmers and you can use AG machines for 200hrs per on construction jobs; rotate machines. CARB-AG trucks are okay except you cannot add additional units and 10K per year mileage limit until 2023. CARB-Construction Trucks if you're a licensed general contractor, limit 15k per year.77-359 1693 chromed up, under 1,000 miles usage; good investment. CARB is formulating new smoke tests, mandatory. New streamlined ca.gov click, click you're screwed website https://www.arb.ca.gov/msprog/truckstop/truckstop.htm I was going to build a Truck sledge puller; we can't have pulling contests in Calif any longer . 1150s can spin up to 3400revs, 3500Hp plus, with quad turbos in unlimited class. Tom Lindsay (PA) is the guru with 1150s. Edit: Building KTA700 using phase 8 industrial heads for on-highway. Discussing BTU heat rejection per minute with Cummins Engineers, 'injection timing, compression ratios'. NO confusion about advanced or retarded fuel injection timing. Reply pertains to Hallback's BC3, yep he's going to retire the truck.

  75. #75Birken Vogt2018-12-14 10:42

    I've never paid any attention to pulling contests but, did they outlaw them on account of too much black smoke? I guess that is why they are never advertised.

  76. #76StanRUS2018-12-14 13:09

    Temecula's Old Town annual festival included tractor mud pit races, that ended Oct 2013. Water conservation, black smoke blah... Corona Clay's owner Jerry Deleo leases practice-test tracks to Moto-Cross factory racing teams and Thompson Off Road Racing. We were decking another hill for an additional off road test track; neighbor (late friend's wife) ratted us out, no grading permits.County; stop now, not allowed. 1,300+ acres of Mining-Industrial property located in Dawson Canyon with local landfill; new housing developement butting up to the property. Probably be hearing about noise pollution soon Jerry and family are into racing; son-in-law is Jeff Ward. Truck pulls? Black-Smoke would be an major issue; 1st time we used BBQ pit Cal Fire showed up , LOL 40yrs plus after job stop beers for the crew; no longer allowed per insurance company liability policies and CHP's, County Sheriffs' watchful eyes. Legalized Weed; I had difficulty keeping/finding pass-drug-test drivers, ditto off-road operators. Running businesses have morphed into babysitting dysfunctional children; that is the root of the problem, IMO. Children are not taught to take responsibility for themselves or others. Schools; pass Jane/James to the next grade; teachers don't want parents' outraged push-back, not my extra special single parent brat. Is this reply related to BC3 roller & follower issue? Corona Rock-All American Asphalt Friday evening bond fire parties/payday. A magnetic attraction for good little girls, going bad seeking out Big Camshafts, direct injections, rolled and followed, LOL Birken, living in Calif does require life-style adjustments, worst never ending traffic. Ontario JTC, RTE I-15 250K plus vehicles daily plus 25,574 trucks. But air-quality has improved compared to 1990. Cherrs or Tears

  77. #77td25c2018-12-14 20:57

    No tractor / truck pulls in California ? That's just plain wrong ! 220 Allis getting busy at the 2018 Indiana state fair . Tractor /truck pulling & racing are deeply woven into the fabric of the country .

  78. #78DMiller2018-12-15 06:44

    Seems like One State is out to conquer the world, not surprising. They keep it up and by 2023 there will be NO farms/farming/road work/construction/driving in CA.

  79. #79Birken Vogt2018-12-15 11:17

    The funny thing is they exempt ag from all their silly rules and regulations. Ag has a lot of clout in the capitol.

  80. #80td25c2018-12-15 13:20

    As mentioned up thread best course is replace cam & followers . However ……. Story time , gather around everyone Had a very similar problem while in framing a small cam 290 Cummins in my 1973 White years ago . One cam lobe looked a little " sketchy " but not flaking out or loosing metal yet . Noticed the cam follower roller looked far worse then the cam lobe . Yep …. Pulled the cam follower assembly , buffed around on the cam lobe a little with some emery cloth and replaced the bad roller . The joy of building a Cummins out in the driveway . Never had any issues with it and truck made it to retirement . When they start to give up the ghost you will notice flaking similar to this .

  81. #81StanRUS2018-12-19 17:33

    td25c, Linear lines on the camshaft like your example photos can be a tip-off that maintenance practices need improvement. Dirt in the oil from poor fill/refill practices like using galvanized 1 gallon can etc. Pre-filling oil filters. Cummins okay per service manuals, Cat do not per engineers. Plug inner filter-thread bore with plastic cap and carefully fill with clean oil (outside to inside). Or use primer pump. Cummins Biggest Cam Road Trucks K-series 1150s were the highest horsepower engines ever installed in OEM US trucks starting 1976 with the KTA600 (23lb/ft torque per 1psi turbo boost). 5 trucks were built with KTTAC-HVT 750Hp engines; a few simple adjustment for 1,250+Hp / 66lb/ft torque per 1psi turbo boost. KTTAC = twin compounded turbos, aftercooled HVT = hydraulic variable timing. Pete 379 glider Heavy Haul, 24K front axle, 4'9" rear axle spread 46,900lbs permitted, Murray 9 axle/75Tons / KTA700Hp+. Easy install requiring no extras holes drilled in the frame rails. Turn oil pan around and extend the pick up pipe tube for front sump. Engine retired/replaced with C18 600Hp Australians are using Ks electronic update QSK19 for pulling 140T Road Trains. Truck Puller K19 Modified approx 4KHp @ 4,000Rpm

  82. #82td25c2018-12-19 19:56

    Like I tell the Wife every time she blows up at me ……. " Well … At least now I know that we have room for improvement ". No end to it . LOL ! All BS aside I am eager to see what My buddy's camshaft looks like in the 1979 KW big cam 290 ? Will find out after he drops it off in a few weeks .

  83. #83StanRUS2018-12-19 21:23

    BC 290s weren't hard on cams. Take few pics If you're going to do a U-tube movie, a least do procedures right. Example: Head bolt torquing; helper gripping torque wrench ahead of the handle. NTC-855 BC @ 285lb/ft final torque? Wrong unless the engine is BC4 with 1" longer head bolts. Engine out of frame overhauls, I position so I can use body weight down pressure for torquing mains, rods, head bolts.

  84. #84td25c2018-12-19 22:03

    Cam looked fine the last time we had it open ( 18 years ago ) . Engine acts like a piston failure . No knocking yet & still pulls good but massive blow by . Cam might be in fine shape . Never know until ya open them up ? Should be interesting . Will post a few pictures of it .

  85. #85RZucker2018-12-19 22:17

    That bonehead is Jerking a torque wrench? And yeah, the grip point is wrong too.

  86. #86td25c2019-03-09 19:57

    Camshaft looked ok . Piston ….. Not so good . LOL ! We dropped in new pistons , sleeve's & bearings on the bottom end . New turbo , injectors and radiator core on top side . 1979 KW back in action .