Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Creating heat dump box

andrewpond ยท 2018-12-05 07:08

Hello. I have a 2009 FL m2 w cummins (DPF filter but no DEF) I have some winter work that requires me to haul full. I had a load freeze in truck last week. I thinking of adding exhaust divert box to heat the dump bed. It's actually a roll off bin (I only have one) I used truck to move mini ex and then act as dump truck once on site) The bin has 3/16 steel bed. Think of just re-directing exhaust up into center floor. Currently exhaust just points down away truck/ bin w a short exhaust tip . Does anyone see concerns ie possible restrictions. Current exhaust is 4". I could up size diverter box to 5"? Was not planning on doing any ducting or piping. Just let heat naturally spread. Thxs

Replies8
  1. #1Nige2018-12-05 13:40

    Just be aware that, if routed through the inside of the structure, the exhaust gas will rot the body from the inside PDQ.

  2. #2RZucker2018-12-05 14:31

    I'm seeing issues with wiring and nylon air lines by just pointing the exhaust upward under the box.

  3. #3Birken Vogt2018-12-05 16:12

    I am not 100% sure what you are proposing, but I can say for sure that during DPF burn outs, that exhaust gets way hotter than normal diesel exhaust for a good period of time.

  4. #4Tags2018-12-05 20:10

    I'm pretty sure that's the biggest reason there aren't many new trucks with heated bodies, plus the way they run the exhaust now is goofy enough without trying to route it to a diverter box to heat or not heat the body.

  5. #5Theweldor2018-12-05 20:16

    Heating a dump box is a bit more involved than just pointing the exhaust under the body.

  6. #6Shimmy12018-12-05 23:22

    I'm going to venture a guess that the "point and shoot" approach is not going to give you much in regards to a result. The heated bodies I've seen have either enclosed frame rails or 4" square tubing running parallel to the frame rails the full length of the box, and the exhaust exits out the back. Without it being directed the entire length, I think you're going to end up with just a hot spot towards the front, and the possibility of damage to any number of air or electrical components between the frame rails on the truck.

  7. #7ianjoub2018-12-06 09:21

    Could you run copper pipe on the underside of the bed and hook it into the truck cooling system? Maybe use a heater control valve so you could close that loop off when you need to warm up the cold engine.

  8. #8andrewpond2018-12-07 08:31

    Thxs. For you replies. The idea of heated box came from looking at replacement truck. An 2006 c8500 (similar exhaust system w DPF filter) that has heated box. Am I wrong in thinking 2006 c8500 w Cat motor and 2009 FL w Cummins are similar in regards to exhaust setup? So rot not really an issue ie 2006 box is fine. I don't expect to exhaust to cook the material in box, just to keep from freezing too it. My suggestion of just pointing/directing up was expecting people to tell me there was concerned about restricting exhaust flow.... I ok with installing diverter box and some tubing to protect electrical and brake lines. Thxs again for replies