Check out the cable on this old grove. Got just a few bad spots in the cable. Its not all bad- just bad in a spot or two. Nothing like weaving the cable back and forth on the boom head either. A little twist won't hurt. https://www.purplewave.com/auction/200625/item/K5871/Grove-66-18501-Cranes-Truck_Crane-Missouri
So how much did you bid on her?
I thought about it. The first crane I owned was this same model. Mine was a FWD carrier and didn't have the front axle drive. That's a 4 section boom, has a pinned in dead section. 92' with the dead stick out. Mine had a detroit downstairs and a perkins up. The detroit was a miserable - well - I'll stop there, but I loved that perkins in the upper. It didn't use any fuel at all. They are a stout built old crane, like everything old grove- way overbuilt. But- I don't think I'm tough enough anymore to run it. And I'm too young to buy conversation pieces. It will probably bring what it will scrap for.
But- this is also for sale tomorrow on iron planet, and I don't know why- but I want it. And if I could cut the grove off of the old carrier and marry it to this bulldog- now we might be talking..... https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale...&reloadCode=stall,1593051846528,1593051954936
And just because you like the newer macks mitch- you should bring this home. V8- 18 speed on 12.0024 rubber. It would be worth it just for the little gold dog. https://www.ironplanet.com/for-sale...&reloadCode=stall,1593053250480,1593053380932
London attachments, former mixer truck? See a lot of them here. Truck looks pretty good.
Crane op are you a bulldog guy just curious never had any experience with mack dont really know anyone that runs them either On that older crane tho I bet you need a project just like that to take up all the empty space you have at your yard but really conversation pieces are fun to think about when your busy and still dont get touched when your slow cause of course you cant spend money then and really after a week of 12 plus hour days who wants to wrench for a hobby at least not me anymore
I'm not really a mack guy, I'm a equal opportunity vehicle offender. I own a western star, a pete, a mack, a international, two fords and a freightliner. I will say I like the mack that I have. Ford and Mack both built a pretty tough steel bodied truck for ugly vocational type work. I think its a shame that mack and ford are no more. Well mack is still here, but they're really just a volvo now. My western star and pete are really too nice for rough construction type work. For beating around jobsites dirty and filthy, I really prefer my ford and mack. I detest my international, and the freightliner is simply a parts truck- I'd have to be really hard up to drive it.
I was involved in stuffing an e6 350 mack engine in a grove very similar to that one back in the 90s. it turned out to be the fastest crane from job to job anywhere around, it had a 4-71 to start with
Check out Simard twin steer conversions. They up fit our chassis with the second steer axle and do a great job! They also provide trucks with driven front axles / twin steer assisted drive axles. I have never seen one in person, but it sounds like an amazing piece of equipment. https://www.simardsuspensions.com/en/applications/crane-trucks/
The Grove went for $2250. Did you buy it Crane Op?
No purchases made here. The twin steer mack went cheap too. The mack would turn like a overweight buffalo with the front wheel assist axle. And I don't need it. The old grove would make a conversation piece, but I don't need projects.
I bought a CH from the Mack dealer, it was their truck, for the trailer shop. It had neat cartoon bulldogs, one on each side of the hood. When I went to pick it up, the salesman had sent it to the body shop and had them removed, I was disappointed. He thought I'd be happy, since I always bought the ugliest trucks on their lot.
LOL