Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Becoming a Operating ENGINEER:usa

union4life ยท 2009-01-08 12:50

I have read in the past many younger members asking how to become an Operator, I was going through the jobs on careerbuilders.con and found numerous listings for the Air national guard, in need of Operators, I don't no much about the criteria to join but maybe a senior member or someone who took this route could give more information...:USA

Replies3
  1. #1Turbo218352009-01-08 20:11

    While I have not taken this route, A few words based on what I have heard guys say. This coming from several operators I have worked with. Make sure you get it in writing, and it is signed by the recruiter. Make sure it says operating engineer, or the military name for it. One marine i worked with said they had 3 types of engineers. 1 operating engineers, 2 the type of engineers that are layout survey, 3 demolitions engineers, the way he described them is the "whoa, blow $@&% up engineers." Just remembers, recruiters have some serious numbers pressure on them. Some have been known to tell you one thing, and sign you up for something totally different when it comes to MOS. Watch out for yourself, and dont let them pressure you into something you do not want.

  2. #2surfer-joe2009-01-08 23:30

    Right on Turbo. I got took that way in the Navy and it was only dame fortune and a sympathetic personnelman that got me where I thought I was going in the first place. I got rooked and was probably headed for a fleet oiler like most of the other guys in my recruit company till that guy made some changes in my mos. I don't know how the reserve guys recruit, but I would doublecheck everything twice and ask a lot of questions up front. It's too late to ask after you sign on the dotted line....

  3. #3BigIron252009-01-09 15:20

    Yeah turbo you hit the nail on the head, I am currently an active duty marine and i originally signed up to be a "heavy equipment operator" i was promised that MOS all through the recruiting process and bootcamp and then i graduated bootcamp and was assigend to the "whoa, blow $@&% up engineers" I still get some stick time on some D7s and John Deere Loaders/forks but its not what i wanted. So basically it is imperative to get it written in contract before any right hands are raised that you want to be a heavy Equipment Operator or in the marine corps a MOS1345. Otherwise the smart ass recruiters will put you into an Engineers/utility pool. and thats not a fun way to go.