Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Beginners question on digging with an excavator

mpilihp ยท 2013-08-04 21:04

Hello Im using my TB015 to dig a trench and install culverts and Im discovering a problem. Im diggingin wet sandy and clay earth and its quite sticky. After about 5 buckets full the bucket is encased with earth and I cannot shake it out. Ive even tried to bang it on a tree to no success. So is there any trick to keep the bucket self cleaning? Like spraying it with oil or WD40 like you would with a snow shovel? Thanks ~ Phil

Replies4
  1. #1Lil' Puss2013-08-04 21:25

    Do you have holes in your bucket bottom? This usually keeps the muck from forming a vacuum, but wet clay is some of the worst there is to work with. It's almost like grease. If possible, have a helper with a garden hose keep the bucket really wet.

  2. #2mpilihp2013-08-05 12:27

    Hi yes the bucket has a couple of holes but it still gets clogged. Im working quite a ways from the house so no hose available. Thats OK Ill get out and shovel it now and then, I didnt know if there was a trick to use. Thanks! ~ Phil

  3. #3mitch5042013-08-05 15:52

    Two tricks, neither one of which makes wet clay good to work with: use the widest bucket you have, and take long thin slices of dirt. Don't try to dig a full bucket deep, as that really packs the clay in there. My 16" bucket on my 580 is useless in wet clay, if I can I'll trench for 2" pipe w/ my 30" bucket. Even my 56" on my 215 holds clay, but the wider the better.

  4. #4mpilihp2013-08-05 17:52

    Hi Mitch ok thanks for the tip, unfortunately I only have one bucket and its narrow but Ill try digging in thin slices and see if that works better. ~ Phil