Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bell B30D tracked version

9420pullpan ยท 2007-03-12 03:37

this is awesome check it out link

Replies23
  1. #1Countryboy2007-03-12 03:59

    It would be really awesome if it backed over that van parked behind it. Great pics. :thumbsup Would there be a load capacity difference between the track style and the wheel style from comparable models?

  2. #2equipment fan2007-03-12 07:38

    :thumbsup :eek2 WOW,WOW,WOW:jawdrop :scool This is my dream!!!It`s the perfect machine for muddy soil.Good pics pullpan:drinkup .

  3. #3stuvecorp2007-03-12 15:44

    Thats wild! I'll take two. Nice pics.

  4. #4CM19952007-03-12 20:20

    I will say the same thing about this piece of er, equipment that I did another forum - perfect government machine: expensive and useless.

  5. #5traxs2007-04-07 15:23

    Now that is sweet. I want one. now.:notworthy

  6. #6PSDF3502007-04-07 15:38

    Looks like it would go well in snow. But I think it would'nt be so good in mud.:beatsme

  7. #7traxs2007-04-07 17:46

    hummm...frozen tracks on that must suck. The contact area to the ground is much larger than tires, it should float better in mud no? I would think so

  8. #8equipment fan2007-04-07 17:58

    yeah traxs:notworthy ,i agree with you about tire vs. track in mud.:iagree

  9. #9PSDF3502007-04-07 19:20

    But it doesn't look like it has a bigger footprint. I still say it looks as though it would do better in snow. But:beatsme

  10. #10Steve Frazier2007-04-07 21:26

    The footprint may not be wider, but it is certainly longer! The surface area in contact with the ground is many times that of a tire which would give it much more flotation under any conditions.

  11. #11jazak2007-04-07 21:48

    Is BELL with JD??? Same colors. Looks like lots of JD parts?? Looks like something JD would design???

  12. #12PSDF3502007-04-07 21:50

    Steve I realise it's longer. But alot of flotation in mud comes from width not lenght. Not saying I cant be wrong jmo.

  13. #13jhill2007-04-07 22:06

    I think Deere owns 30% of Bell.

  14. #14jmac2007-04-07 22:59

    Very cool looking, that won't get you very far, but very looking

  15. #15wrenchbender2007-04-07 23:10

    Looks like a mechanical nightmare to me why would you do such a thing. I think some one saw Star Wars one time to many. Whats next a hoover dump?:beatsme

  16. #16Steve Frazier2007-04-07 23:43

    Dave, flotation comes from the surface area in contact with the ground. The more the surface area, the wider an area the weight is spread out over, resulting in lower psi ground pressure. Surface area is length times width of the contact pad. A tire has the width times about 6" to a foot of length in contact with the ground, let's say the width is 1 foot. So we have 1 foot times 1/2 foot which amounts to 1/2 square foot per tire. Multiply this by 6 tires and we have a total surface area of 3 square feet. If the machine weighs 100,000 pounds loaded, the ground pressure is going to be 33,333 pounds per square foot. With this tracked truck, let's say the tracks are 1 foot wide, the same as the tires we used. The length of the track appears to be about 5', give or take, let's call it 5. So the surface area of the track is length (5') times width (1') or 5 square feet. Multiply this by 4 tracks and we come up with 20 square feet total surface area. Now let's say this machine weighs the same 100,000 pounds. We divide that by the total surface area (20 square feet) and we get 5000 pounds per square foot, much less than the 6 wheeled truck. If you increase either dimension of the ground contact pad, you increase the flotation. That's that algebra at work! rofessor

  17. #17traxs2007-04-08 01:32

    :exactly Excellent explanation Mr. Frazier. :thumbsup

  18. #18traxs2007-04-08 01:38

    you'd be surprised to see how useful it can be.

  19. #19CM19952007-04-08 10:49

    That contraption would only be profitable for a highly specialized contractor. Being one that runs a couple of 25T artics, if the artics can't make it through the mud then you usually have to much mud to be working anyway. I guess it would be good for pipeline construction and other remotely located jobs but there is no way I could afford to operate something like that in a grading operation. Rubber tracks are big $$$$ (example Bobcat T250 = $4k) and I can only imagine what those would cost. It's neat to see something like this and I would love to drive it, just don't want to own it.

  20. #20Deas Plant2007-04-08 19:26

    Reminds me of something else I saw somewhere Hi, Folks. This jigger reminds me of something else that I saw recently somewhere. Now where was it? Wherever/whatever it was, I was impressed, just not favourably. I can't help the feeling that somebody - or somebodys (plural?) - has seen a rubber-tracked something somewhere and decided that everything should be rubber-tracked. I'm just waiting now for the first rubber-tracked D11R to show up on a hard rock ripping job. AH, yes, that 'dahling' little toy of a JD rubber-tracked artic dozer with the rear engine. (You blokes thought the ol' feller was losing his marbles, didn't you?) And now somebody tells us that JD owns 30% of Bell. SURPRISE! I will say that I can see more of a future for this jigger than for the JD rubber-tracked dozer. At least you could still haul in mud/sand/snow but running expenses would be a lot higher than for wheeled rigs and you not want a lot of rocks on your haul roads. I guess all will be revealed in the fullness of time.

  21. #21mtb3452007-04-17 13:44

    nows theres a machine that looks like more fun than work:

  22. #22Martin!2007-05-16 15:51

    Here five pictures of a Bell B30D dumper on the Bauma 2007 in Munchen.

  23. #23equipment fan2007-05-16 17:56

    thanks for posting pictures,they are nice!