Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Artic truck transformed in a weapon

equipment fan ยท 2007-03-21 20:42

Hi guys,does anyone of you have seen Future weapons on Discovery channel?They have presented a volvo articulated truck with the logo of Oshkosh truck on the front.The name is The Archer.Basically, it is a modified Volvo A30D with a 155mm cannon on back. They said its advantage to a traditonal tank is speed and mobility. It is completly automated, and able to be operated by 3 men. Due to this it is able to set up, fire a round, and be moving again before the shot reaches its target. On top of that, it retains the complete Volvo drivetrain, save for a modified transmission (making it capable of 70 km/h), so parts are not problem. And the camo paint and armored cab make it pretty mean looking.:cool2

Replies17
  1. #190plow2007-03-21 20:48

    I'll take one... :usa -Eric

  2. #2wrenchbender2007-03-21 21:10

    I've been wanting to take up duck hunting, looks like that might be a nice gun to start out with lol

  3. #3Countryboy2007-03-21 22:21

    All I see is a stationary gun........:beatsme Good pic though Equipmentfan. :thumbsup

  4. #4Wulf2007-03-21 22:33

    Nice. I bet Arnie's got one on order...

  5. #5biggixxerjim2007-03-21 22:37

    .... how does it turn??? Looks like them sadle bags on the right side of it would prob. hinder any articulation.

  6. #6Wulf2007-03-21 23:18

    Not sure but the barrel is telescopic and it looks like its meant to retract and then articulate. Not sure what he's doing with that chair...

  7. #7Squizzy246B2007-03-22 05:21

    That reminds me of an old 33 LP I have around somewhere..it was called "You wont believe your ears" by Wes Harrison...he did all these vocal sound effects to old jokes....I just loved his version of the Great Duck Hunt..Lol.

  8. #8equipment fan2007-03-22 07:41

    The chassis is a volvo but on the front we see the oshkosh logo.Does volvo and Oshkosh create an alliance?

  9. #9wrenchbender2007-03-22 22:16

    Now you gonna have to find it and upload it so we can all hear it

  10. #10wrenchbender2007-03-22 22:21

    Yeah I tried to find it and all I got was this

  11. #11Countryboy2007-03-22 22:36

    Here is the link to his website where you can purchase his tapes and CDs. There is also a schedule for his appearence dates. :drinkup Mr. Sound Effects

  12. #12rino14942007-03-23 06:41

    That is awesome :drinkup

  13. #13Wulf2007-03-23 09:13

    Not sure about Oshkosh... I thinkthe logo is BAE Bofors: http://www.boforsdefence.com/eng/home.asp# http://www.baesystems.com/Businesses/LandArmaments/Divisions/Bofors/index.htm

  14. #14digger242j2007-03-23 09:35

    It looks like he's got something in his left hand. I'll bet he's going to stand on the chair and cover the muzzle of the gun. (BTW, if it was a US weapons system the chair would be: "Chair, Artilleryman's, Standing On, One Each". It would cost the Army $3, 947.22.)

  15. #15equipment fan2007-03-23 17:26

    thanks for the link:drinkup

  16. #16MKTEF2007-04-09 08:24

    Bofors gun Hey guy's Here's the military answer: Its a artillery cannon. The US army has a M109. A aluminium box with tracks and a V6 2 stroke. The enemy has artillery locating radars, so u want to fire one shot and drive the hell out of there. Thats way it needs to be able of shooting and then quikly pack together and leave. Its corect that its a Volvo A30, but Bofors was forced by Volvo to remove all Volvo marks. Volvo CE does NOT produce army materiell. Thats the reason for the Bofors mark in front. And the swedish guy got a cover for the gun in his hand, you put it on the opening so you dont get any dirt in your barrell. Many armys is bying new artillery materiell these days, so it is a lot of new(and odd) equipment available to choose from.

  17. #17equipment fan2007-04-09 10:38

    THANKS for the info.:drinkup