Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Belts ingersoll rand roller

Btad · 2024-06-06 23:55

I got a 1980 ingersoll rand 84" roller Trying to chang belts it has 3 v belts I don't know how tight to do them I set them like I would on alternator and thay come off and flip over Thanks for any help

Replies8
  1. #1Btad2024-06-07 10:34

    I got a ingersoll rand sp54 roller Trying to chang belts it has 3 v belts I don't know how tight to do them I set them like I would on alternator and thay come off and flip over Thanks for any help

  2. #2Mobilewrench2024-06-07 22:51

    Not sure I understand. If you treat it like an alternator than the bolt to the left of the drive pulley is the tensioner, the one below is the lock and the one to the right is the axle.

  3. #3Mobilewrench2024-06-07 22:51
  4. #4Btad2024-06-07 23:14

    I know how to tighten the belt but I do not know how tight to make it

  5. #5funwithfuel2024-06-08 06:34

    Are those power belts or regular v belts. I would think you would want the power belts because of the nature of vibration assembly. Those belts will deflect probably 1½" or more when under power. The other thing, to consider is the sheaves, shafts and bearings. Maybe it would be a good idea to check that the sheaves don't have low spots and that the bearings are in good order.

  6. #6Diesel Dave2024-06-08 12:31

    I remember that exact belt setup on a local contractors IR SP54 from back in the day. With sheaves in good condition ,the vibratory drive belts flipping and or slipping was still an ongoing issue. We tried a variety of different tensions. To put the issue to bed, I’m 99.9 % sure that we ended up installing a banded joined type belt. Gates calls them Powerband, I’m sure most belt brands produce them. Pic below of a typical belt.

  7. #7Btad2024-06-09 09:04

    We just pulled the roller the shaft had about 1/2" Up and down and a little over 1/4" in and out movment After we do new berings we will put a power belts on it It is funny the parts manual does not show a greas seal on the inside Hopping to get the berings and put it back together later this week Thanks for any and all help

  8. #8Btad2024-06-14 08:43

    I got it all put back together with new berings It is much better it ren fir about 1 hour before 1 belt came off I am getting a new powerboat ordered today Any suggestions on how tight to make it Thanks all