Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Belzona

menhou ยท 2016-06-20 09:47

Hi we used BELZONA solution for the repair of the turbine that is in a degraded state, my question I would like to know how many times can utilier this solution for the same turbine (eg 3 times COATING the same turbine) the second issue the possibility of estimating the lifetime of the turbine after the BELZONA thank you for your reponse

Replies7
  1. #1DIYDAVE2016-06-20 20:20

    Kinda like asking how many licks does it take to get the the center of a tootsie pop... https://youtu.be/O6rHeD5x2tI I would say, it depends on the environment it is working in. I have heard its good stuff, if that helps... :beatsme

  2. #2lantraxco2016-06-21 01:29

    I would say that Belzona claims their material will usually last longer than original, if you chose the right product. I think in logical terms if you can build up the turbine again before the wear reaches the parent metal, you could probably keep doing it almost indefinitely?

  3. #3Rustyratchet2016-06-21 18:56

    What is belzona?

  4. #4DIYDAVE2016-06-21 19:04

    Belzona is a epoxy or JB weld type product, that is used to build up worn metal parts. The thing I wonder about using on a turbine would be balance...

  5. #5lantraxco2016-06-22 03:08

    I'm wondering if "impeller" may be what he actually has? Can't see it on an actual turbine....

  6. #6John C.2016-06-22 20:40

    Never figured Belzona for any structural strength. We used it on cracked engine blocks mainly to hold coolant within the jackets. The cracks had to run along the lines of the cylinders and could not run parallel to the crankshaft. The torque on the block would pull the stuff loose over time. Would have considered it for big pump casings also be found a way to braze the cracks closed instead.

  7. #7barrelroll2016-07-10 16:03

    I worked at a pump shop working mainly on horizontal split case pumps. We used it to repair bearing housings and cases we couldn't weld. It lasted well and we would re-build the pumps multiple times without an issue. It's going to depend on the application depending on life spans.