Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bent cooling fan blades on Bobcat

PEVO · 2019-03-18 11:06

Removed motor on my 743 bobcat (which was a bitch because the splines were seized up) anyways upon removing the v1702 i see three bent vanes and one with a broken tip on the flywheel...damage for sometime before. Anyways can the vanes be heated and bent back or are these cast an will break? They are not bent too bad, some even suggested leave em as is since it didnt seem out of balance. Suggestions...ideas...opinions?

Replies1
  1. #1kshansen2019-03-18 15:19

    Okay this is my thought on this and it is worth almost what you are paying for it! I'm pretty sure they are cast iron so bending or heating would not be my choice of attack for bent ones. If with a close inspection of the bent ones there are no cracks I would just ignore them. If there are some cracks I might be tempted to finish the job and snap them off then smooth out the edges. If the missing part o the broken one is say less than the size of a nickle I also would just forget it, out of site out of mind. Now if the missing part was very large say like a silver dollar, they still use them in Texas right?, about the only thing if trying to be real anal about the balance would be to grind an equal amount off a fin 180º away! But considering the weight of that flywheel I have any doubts you could ever notice the loss of on bit of a fin!