I removed the extendahoe cylinder on my 1992 JD 310D to replace the seals. I found the cylinder rod to be bent to about 1.5" in the 48" length. The cylinder is only about 2" bore and the rod is only 1.25" OD. Is it common to see these rods bent? Is it reasonable to expect that you can push the backhoe out of the mud by using the extendahoe cylinder? My opinion after seeing how small the rod is that one would need to consider how much you can push with it before it will bend. Any experience and professional opinion will be appreciated.
if were mine i would take rod loose at one end and rotate 180 degrees and put back together,, i have done this on other bent rods
A lot of my experince with this problem is caused by loose boom you need to replace the guides plates & reshim it so the boom isnt loose far as a bent rod you can straitgen the rod in a press. You need to check the tube for scaring lot of time a bent rod will scar the tube
1080 bobcat, Yes. I am also in the process of replacing the slider plates. This old thing has steel flat bars running the whole length of the extension. I have removed all of the steel bars and am converting it to the hard nylon pads on the ends like the Caterpillar hoes. I have straitened the rod in my lathe with a bunch of jacks, chains, steel parts etc. It is still very slightly bent. When placing a straight edge along the rod you can only see bumps and gaps of maybe 0.020". I hope this is sufficient.