Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

cat 416 transmission

rooferdave ยท 2011-03-13 16:25

hi all, my 1989 cat 416 had the retaining clip let go in the tranny, as a result two gears are damaged and the drum is mushroomed on one side. Any input from here would be greatly appreciated. I have had in looked at and some say the gears can be repaired and rehardened, anyone have experience with this? The supplier by me wants $5,000.00 for the two gears and drum...this seems excessive, catapiller wants 20,000 for a transmission, cat used parts wants 10,000 for a tranny rebuilt with non cat parts, the wreckers I have spoke to want 4,999,99 for a used unit no warrenty and the other wants 7700.00 for a used unit with a 30 day warrenty, is this in line??? any suggestions? As I am a newbie to larger machines I do not know what is good value and what is gouging? thanks in advance all!

Replies5
  1. #1Deon2011-03-13 20:33

    Seems the Cat parts are so expensive you should be able to sell all the good parts from your machine and buy a good used machine that doesn't need repairs. I know thats no help.

  2. #2HarrisEquipment2011-03-13 22:20

    You should try to find a machine shop that is familar with building gears and cutting splines. I had a machine shop in Eugene, Oregon weld up a shaft and re-cut the splines on a HI/LO drum from a JD4030. They charged about $700 for that which included heat treating. Used part was $1200.

  3. #3El Hombre2011-03-14 01:27

    +1, the dealers aren't selling much new stuff, so they're making it in the parts and service. It's stuff like this, $8K for a used transmission. that makes a used hoe such a risk.

  4. #4rooferdave2011-03-14 08:49

    how did it work out for you? MY worry is with the tight tolerances the repaired bit might chip and cause even more grief!

  5. #5HarrisEquipment2011-03-14 14:37

    Its been a little over a year and no problems. But probably only 200 hours of use. Make sure you talk to somebody that is familar with welding and repairing hardend steel. I'm guessing your in Canada. Have you checked with any salvage yards in the US?