Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Bent stablilizer rod

JD750B ยท 2009-10-10 13:33

Pulled the two stabilizer cylinders apart to replace leaky seals and noted that the rod on the left cylinder is bent. About 3/8" over 12". Chrome is in really bad shape so I am not sure it is worth attempting to straighten it and then getting it rechromed Any sources for used rods? Thanks

Replies4
  1. #1IH 3500A2009-10-10 20:29

    Rod material can be gotten from http://www.baileynet.com/ . Then you need to have the threads cut on one end / eye welded on. Being they make their own cylinders, I'd be real tempted to send a detailed drawing of you rod or the actual rod and have them make a replacement if you don't have access to a machine shop. I need to do this to my bucket cyl this winter due to a couple gouges on the surface.

  2. #2Phil2009-10-11 07:37

    I have been successful locating a used rod of the same size and machining or welding on new ends to match. Some of the newer cylinders use chrome on their rods that is very thin and life expectancy in an abusive situation like an outrigger, is shorter. I save every rod I can find now, especially the old ones that can have up to .040"of chrome. Phil

  3. #3dpage022009-10-28 12:37

    You might look at a used cylinder from a tractor salvage. Does not necessarily have to be from a backhoe, just match the cylinder size.

  4. #4surfer-joe2009-10-28 17:27

    New stabilizer rods are not particularly expensive, and they come with a warranty. Used rods may have slight bends and worn chrome, no warranty. Not worth the risk really. Stabilizer rods are particularly susceptable to being bent due to nature of their function. If your rod has been bent a while, you will need to check the bore closely to see if the piston caused any damage internally, they quite often do. Cost of repairing a tube is not really worth it. Used cylinder assemblies in good condition are generally acceptable if oil comes out clean with no water or debris. The rod does need to be checked with a straight edge however. Good Luck!