Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Rookie Question

lumber61 ยท 2009-10-07 04:07

I'm wondering, Can anyone explain to me the differences between CASE 580 L,M and series?? I was asked this question and have no idea..never thought about...What do you guys think?

Replies12
  1. #1gggraham2009-10-07 22:02

    Depending on the series there could be a huge difference. There are 580L series 1 and 2, 580M series 1,2 and 3. The M's have the bigger cab, more window area. Series 1 L's have a rotary bosch injection pump, everything after has an inline. The M series 3 is common rail. Transmission has stayed the same unless you have powershift. The L and M series 1 and 2 used Clarke. The new series 3 use Carraro powershift. L through M series 1 have section valves, Mseries 2 and 3 are mono block. M series 2 and 3 are available with pilot controls. 580M series 2 and on have hydraulic pump mounted on the transmission. Check Case website I thinkthey should have a comparison in spec there for you.

  2. #2Duke2009-10-11 21:24

    Gggraham really nailed the tech stuff. From a former owner's perspective, the M is ergonomically nicer than the L. The doors are a big upgrade in that they don't rust like the L doors. Correct me if I'm wrong, but my M came with an Iveco design engine and the L's had the venerable Cummins (Consolidated) diesel design.

  3. #3JS580SL2009-10-11 23:37

    Theres only 3 things better on an M. Smoother hydralics, bigger cab, hyd. pump on the trans. Other than thats L series 2 was the machine to have. Comin from a guy who puts about 50 hours a week on an M series 2.

  4. #4Duke2009-10-12 19:16

    Especially if you like rust. Nothing rusts faster than a 580L. Doors are usually gone in 5 years. Floors won't last much longer. M doors & cab will still look good after 10. My M paint job was junk, too. I could have painted my M better than Case did with a roller and a bucket of rust oleum. My new Holland looks better at 9 years old than my M did at 3 years old. I like the L engine better. My M didn't like cold starts.

  5. #5JS580SL2009-10-12 21:03

    Super L my father had, I did alot of plowing with it. Only rust it had when he sold it was the top of the hood. Doors were fine. My biggest gripe about the M I run is that it is such a dog. The L was much faster and quicker to respond at the throttle.

  6. #6Duke2009-10-13 09:29

    Really? I tried to buy an L but couldn't find one with doors that weren't rusted through the sheetmetal. Yeah, I think the M seemed to be a little doggy for a 90+ HP backhoe too, but don't have enough L seat time to make a good comparison. All the L guys around here love the L engine.

  7. #7JS580SL2009-10-14 21:39

    Im hopin for a new Super M3 soon. Least I hope. I tried one out last summer at the dealer for 15 mins cant rlly judge much. Dont like the idea of the 4n'1 run of a rocker switch and the push button park brake.

  8. #8garr_trenching@2009-10-14 23:01

    We have a super L series 2 and a super M. No rust on eather sets of doors.I prefer the super L, only one door on the M, rear window latches are crap. It , the M does seam to have a little more smooth, useable hyd. power.

  9. #9gggraham2009-10-15 01:35

    SM series three with the rocker switch for the clam is very nice. So smooth to operate and we have had zero problems with the switch or the solenoids. Most people do not know that if you pop the small cover up and use a philips screw driver to remove the screw, now take the outer piece of and flip it 180 degrees and reinstall screw it now detents for say using a sweeper. Park brake has given us no trouble at all too and that's more about safety than anything else. The only thing we have run into with series 3 M with common rail is injectors. We have had 3 guys get water in the tank. Took out 3 of 4 injectors at $1500 each with no reman available yet. Warranty will also not cover water in fuel damage. They do not tolerate any contamination at that pressure.

  10. #10diggemup2009-11-02 22:31

    YES the window latches are crab. Have to rebuild them every 6 months.

  11. #11JS580SL2009-11-03 06:10

    The M I run all the rubber in the cab is falling off. Everything is loose. The shift lever for the gears snapped in half on me the other day. Had to wait for the part so Ive been running it with no floor board and using a steel tube to shift the gears.

  12. #12Bartlanz2009-11-03 17:34

    One thing I found really helps with the longevity of the rear window latches/supports on my 580k is putting the windows down before I lower or park the dipper. it may just be that I am not graceful when doing these two opperations though...