Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

best 3/8 air impact gun?

vera66 · 2015-05-06 01:57

Hey everyone looking at getting a new 3/8 impact what do you guys like?

Replies13
  1. #1Shimmy12015-05-06 02:24

    Nitrocat 1355-XL. Will twist off a ⅜" bolt. I also have a ½" 1200 K. Hands down, best gun I've ever ran, and I've ran a LOT. Snappy, MAC, IR. My opinion: Nitrocat.

  2. #2caterpillarmech2015-05-06 05:16

    My new favorite 3/8 is my Ingersoll hammer head hands down. I know it is a specialty item but this thing is great for tight access areas.

  3. #3Queenslander2015-05-06 05:27

    If you're only talking 3/8, another convenient option, these days, is cordless. Tend to be a little bulky but you're not tethered to a hose. Cheers, Greg Agree with Caterpillarmech, had great results with IR rattle guns.

  4. #4Mike L2015-05-06 07:42

    I've had really good luck with my snap on gun but for the $ I'll probably go IR next time

  5. #5nickbowers2015-05-08 07:19

    have a look a the milwaukee 12v range. i love mine Chdck out the reviews i have posted at http://www.truckblog.com.au/tools/milwaukee-m12-fuel-½-ciw12-impact-wrench/ you can get the same tool in 3/8

  6. #6JD955SC2015-05-08 17:42

    I don't know if you have a Cornwell guy but I brought the Cornwell Cat2150 3/8 impact in a set with a full set of metric swivels and metric short sockets for $450 off of my cornwell guy last year...http://www.cornwelltools.com/webcat/products.php?product=CAT2150-%252d-bluePOWER-3{47**8%E2%80%9D-Super-Duty-Impact-Wrench You'll notice the $309 price, I wouldn't pay that for it. Goes on sale often. You can also get it from NAPA (same exact gun). Put a zilla whip on it and it's perfect. It's a rather powerful little 3/8 gun. Nice and compact too. It's pretty much become my go to impact for anything not involving heavy duty stuff like undercarriage. Other good 3/8 guns are the IR and Nitrocats (I have a 1/2 Nitrocat that I like a lot)

  7. #7Shimmy12015-05-08 20:46

    Ya buddy.

  8. #8Queenslander2015-05-09 17:47

    Sounds like you are a big fan of the electric gear Nick. Iam guessing you don't even own an air gun anymore. BTW, you have a line of nice tidy trucks there, where do you usually source them from? Cheers, Greg

  9. #9nickbowers2015-05-10 08:28

    The only thing we use air for now is painting and blowing out filters. I still have a few more cordless and corded tools to review, i only review things after a decent amount of use. We source most of our stock privately, we have good relationships with quite a few trucking companies around Australia. I much rather that over auctions you know the history of the equipment, also can test drive them before purchasing. We also take trade in's of good trucks. Cheers, Nick

  10. #10markshr1512015-05-10 08:49

    18 volt DeWalt. They work hard and long with very little pay. The new 20 volt lith is twice the tool in every way. Then we use air.

  11. #11GregsHD2015-05-10 23:12

    I like the feel of 3/8 butterfly guns, they're cheap, versatile, and easy to control the throttle, I've found some high output guns have very touchy triggers. When I use 3/8 drive I'm not looking for much torque, just for zipping everything up to save time. Not sure why you would want a 3/8 drive gun that will twist off a 3/8 bolt, I tend to use 3/8 drive on smaller fasteners. I suppose in extremely tight quarters, an ultra powerful 3/8 gun would be a life saver though!

  12. #12chevota842015-05-10 23:23

    A couple of my friends have bought these little Chicago 3/8 guns. Small and fast http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Pneumatic-CP7731-Stubby-Impact/dp/B00NOA3ADM

  13. #13Shimmy12015-05-10 23:45

    I guess I'm not looking to twist anything off. Just used it for an example for how much power it has. I use the ⅜" for disassembly. Lot less fatigue throwing the little guy around. Especially when working overhead. Runs well on a ¼" hose.