If your work is inclined, how do you weld across it without the bottom of the bead sagging? Can you weld over dingleballs or should I remove my cold dingleballs before the next pass? Thanks
Stick or mig? Play with your heat setting. Takes practice .
Yair . . . RobVG It is always better to maintain a smoothish uniform surface. As nowing75 mentions play around with heat settings. I usually find it best to wind the amps up a bit and spray it in there with a bit higher travel speed. Often though on maintenance work I will the use the dob, dob, dob, broken arc vertical up technique with pretty high amps to burn out inclusions. On critical work I am never shy to tack on some scrap steel to provide a suitable rest for my welding arm or body . . . if any hot shot comments-as will happen- tell them not to show their ignorance, it's a recognised technique. Cheers.
X2 on the heat settings and instead of doing a U while going up do more of a n that's the only luck I've ever had welding on little clamps and such.. Good luck and I will be watching this to improve my welding as I can only do as well as a real welder can weld with his foot, behind his head, hanging upside down!
Also tip or rod angle. Different rods have faster or slower freezing slag depending on whether they are for down hand or positional welding. Different welding gases and if using flux core many different wires to suit each application.
75% of makeing a good weld is all in what you need to do before you start welding and what needs to be done after each pass. I had welded for years and learened on my own before i got a to go to some night classes. I learned so much in the first 2 nights it was the best money i ever spent. I would recamend takeing so classes or finding some one to show you a thing or two.
Hey Rob, I know you are "sleepless in Seattle", but for those of us on Eastern Standard Time that are about to hit the rack...are ya gonna bother telling us if were are talking stick or MIG welding as nowing75 asked?
Sorry, MIG All good advice, thank you. I'd love to take a class (after 20 years) but the only thing I can find is at a CC. I actually thought of posting an ad on craigslist for instruction from a certified welder.
It makes sense that the heat might be too high but the guy that built the grapple told me to turn it up almost all the way to get penatration- it was at 26V the Lincoln goes to 28. I don't know if he laid it horz to do his welding but it wasn't possible for the repair. 1/2" ar400
Lincoln outershield 71 m works great out of position. Just ran some 1/16 doing a bucket repair.