Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best cleaner / degreaser for equipment and paint prep is?

Speedpup ยท 2008-12-22 09:49

Well I haven't done my machines in years and the supplier where I got my cleaner from is gone. Wondering which degreaser you use and any tips you may have when using it. Last time I use a bug sprayer to apply it. I will be using clod water 4000 psi pressure washer. Last time I painted my machines I had some of paint prep cleaner also. I think it was also the degreaser I used also. Thanks for the tips and leads.

Replies14
  1. #1joispoi2008-12-22 11:50

    Spray it down with kerosene, and then scrub with a car wash broom. All the old grease and dirt should melt right off. Power wash then spray with simple green. Scrub again then power wash.

  2. #2Legdoc2008-12-22 11:58

    I usually use rig wash without diluting it.

  3. #3Speedpup2008-12-22 12:21

    I need some kind of biodegradable stuff as I can't capture the kerosene before it enters the ground.

  4. #4dirt digger2008-12-22 13:16

    i have a lot of luck with grease around the outboard of our boat with "on/off hull cleaner"...i imagine it would work on equipment. It takes off year old scum/algae lines like nothing, its pretty strong too, i think the leading ingredient is hydrochloric acid, so it will sting if you have cuts on your hands you can buy it at Boat US stores we also use "greased lightning" i think it is at the shop...its either called that or "white lightning"...you can buy that at Lowes/Home Dept

  5. #5John DiMartino2008-12-22 22:12

    Ive had great luck with Ram cleaner/degreaser, we buy it by the 55 gallon drum. It cleans our golf carts great,also great for cleaing b4 painting,as it leaves no residue. For purely degreasing only,nothing ive ever used comes close to Citrol from Shaeffers,but youd need to follow it up with the Ram before painting. The citrol literally eats grease,you can clean havy grease with just a garden hose pressure,and citrol,its amazing stuff. http://www.schaefferoil.com/specialty/739_citrol.html http://www.buckeyeinternational.com/products/industrial/ram/index.html

  6. #6Speedpup2008-12-23 21:31

    Thanks for the tips!

  7. #7milling_drum2008-12-24 16:39

    I'll vouch for that Citrol business, it smells like orange and peels the grease and oil off like its nothing.

  8. #8jmz2008-12-26 10:16

    yep citrol works well, also before you shoot your color lay down some bulldog adhesion promoter, that stuff works wonders.

  9. #9dayexco2008-12-26 10:38

    i've used a lot of good soaps, degreasers, and all have worked, "okay"... but all have failed to take that last "road film" off without manually brushing it. will this product take that too?

  10. #10Speedpup2008-12-26 19:31

    :drinkup http://www.levineautoparts.com/buladprom.html To all Automotive Surfaces BULLDOG ADHESION PROMOTER is designed to promote paint adhesion to all automotive surfaces even problem plastics. Bulldog Adhesion Promoter works equally well on all flexible or rigid plastics, fiberglass, aluminum, glass, chrome, vinyl, galvanized metal, and painted surfaces. Bulldog acts as a tie coat by allowing several different surfaces to be painted at the same time to assure a smooth, flawless, durable finish every time.

  11. #11Reuben2008-12-26 20:10

    PURPLE POWER works good for us

  12. #12Elbonk2008-12-26 20:26

    Castrol Super Clean is great just don't breath it, get it on your skin too much or use it on Aluminum.. Also works as a penetrant after using penetrating oil and that doesn't work.. really.

  13. #13rotton rodney2008-12-28 13:39

    oven cleaner i used dollar store oven cleaner on my case 450(a real greaseball) it it worked better than anything i have tried and used just a water hose-try it it is for real.

  14. #14milling_drum2008-12-28 22:36

    The Cat milling machine pictured in my profile had close to 700 hours on it, we were cleaning it up (yard time, nothing going on out on the road) and I inadvertantly asked a laborer to spray some purple power underneath where the lower conveyor is and the areas where grease had splattered. He did that but he didn't realize he couldn't use it on the outer body (undiluted) and sprayed the belt guard area and a small patch before I caught him and called him off. By the time I got the wash down hose to it (minute and a half hauling ass, I was getting the hose ready while he was spraying the purple is how it happened) and rinsed it off, the spray one splatter marks made the brand new paint look like it had measles. The clearcoat was fulla spots. Sooooo I got some automotive body wax and went after the bad areas, it worked! Brought back the clearcoat and the spots can't be seen. Wound up waxing the whole machine. That oven cleaner business reads good.