Curious to see what y'all have found to be the best "mountain dozer" for building logging roads, pioneer cuts, ranch roads on steep, rugged terrain?
We have a d5h with a 6 is way and rippers on it I love it. It seems to me that it’s the right size to get into some tight spots but have enough weight and power to move some dirt I like the 6 way cause it gives me an option for casting material off the side for benching in but that’s all I have ever used I have never used a regular or angle blade for pioneering a road other guys will probably chime in that have a lot more experience than me on what works best
6 ways are nice till you get into cutting rock and ripping out big stump.
My own preference was always a D6C or D with a straight tilt blade for pioneering work.
Here in northern california, my father built many roads with a D8 14A and 2U's, bought a D6H with an S/U blade and says it's by far the best, a hydraulic blade and diff steer make quick work. We had used a D7H which wasnt as nimble as the D6H, but it handled the rocks a lot better.
That is the down side to having a 6 way
Semi U blade is probably most versatile and rugged.