I have a 304e2 with about 2300hrs. Bought used from cat at 2000hrs. I’m coming up on my 3rd swing gear and bearing grease (every 100hrs) and debating on what grease to use. I would typically not use moly grease on ball bearings, but this is a very slow moving bearing. Manual says to use 5% moly, but that’s most likely because they know for most people it’s too much to ask they use 2 kinds of grease on the machine. Easier to recommend the same kind of grease throughout. But I want to use what’s best. For the last 2 greasings I’ve been using Chevron Delo 5% moly. It’s lithium based grease. I have some red non moly lithium I could use. Or I’m thinking of getting a tube of TRC 880 crown & Chassis red grease. Seems like the perfect grease for something like a swing bearing. Based on the charts it is compatible with what I’ve been using. It’s a calcium hydro base which is compatible with the lithium complex I’ve been using. What do you guys think? Just keep using my 5% moly and keep it simple like cat recommends, or get a tube of TRC 880 and keep it in a separate gun to use just for this. I do have an extra gun. I doubt it would ever fail even with the moly grease given that I’m consistent with my greasings, but I like to overthink everything.
I wouldn't switch to calcium from lithium. They say they are compatible, but in my experience calcium only likes calcium as a partner. I use 3% moly, lithium complex with synthetic base oil. I did use calcium sulphonate 5% moly for a while a few years ago, but it doesn't work very well on joints that have limited movement. The 3% has seemed to be a better choice, and it's not because we don't grease enough.
I’ve been using delo 5% moly for years on everything and it’s good stuff. Haven’t had any issues using it in the swing bearing. The other option is to use the red lithium based high temp grease, non moly. I have heard high temp greases could ball up in low speed bearings though. Or just keep using the moly grease I’ve been using and not worry about it.
Chevron Starpkex HD 2 M5 ? I presume?
We just squirt red Lucas grease in everything around here except wheel bearings.
P yes excatly.
Good stuff. Carry on.