Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Adding an auger to cat320dl

Shivan Dookeran ยท 2024-05-18 23:04

Hey guys , my work has been mainly centered around clearing g trees but lately the company I work for has been getting alot of auger jobs and I'm thinking I can make extra money by getting an auger attachment for my cat 320dl serial kgf00762 It os already plumbed for attachment and has a quick hitch , my question is how does it work 2 way ? Is it a physical switch or hydraulic setup to be able to turn the auger both ways?

Replies17
  1. #1skyking12024-05-18 23:09

    thumb circuit works two ways. Beware heat when you get it going. I prefer letting motor loads to get dumped straight to the tank, but needing two way function means it has to go back through the valves both ways.

  2. #2Shivan Dookeran2024-05-20 06:19

    How exactly do you mean? It's just activated by a footswitch or am I missing something ?

  3. #3skyking12024-05-20 11:17

    Yes, if you got auxiliary plumbing out there on this stick there has to be either a switch or something. Most of the time it's switches on your control sticks. A trigger switch on the right. Maybe a trigger switch on the left. A thumb switch.

  4. #4Shivan Dookeran2024-05-20 15:28

    Only thing I have on my machine is a foot switch as well ad piping on the boom a d stick, just not sure how the two way works with an auger

  5. #5Nige2024-05-20 16:01

    For 2-way AUX hydraulic operation you would require a pliot system that uses two foot pedals, not one. It sounds as though your AUX is only 1-way flow.

  6. #6Shivan Dookeran2024-05-20 16:04

    Hey nige thanks for the input , so what would I need to install a 2 way flow ? Just the valves and lines to the block or would I need to do alot more ?

  7. #7Nige2024-05-20 16:45

    I think there might be more involved, including the boom/stick piping because with 1-way hydraulics one line is always a return with only low pressure. With 2-way hydraulics both lines can be high pressure depending on which way the oil is moving to the attachment. A quick look at the parts shows both medium and high pressure line arrangements for AUX hydraulics on both the boom and stick. Also a look in the sales brochure shows a slew of AUX options. i imagine what you have now is something like a single function circuit, what you need is a Tool Control setup. Maybe the TC setp could even be controlled using joystick-mounted push buttons.

  8. #8CM19952024-05-20 20:28

    No mechanic here but it sounds like your machine has just a one way hammer aux line. The tool control circuit provides for two way and more functions like Nige posted above and has buttons on the joysticks. I would like to add a hammer line to our MPG series 321DLCR but the plumbing and valves are expensive just for a one way line, the 2 way line will be more expensive. Might be cheaper to find another machine. Just for example I had the dealer add a 3rd medium pressure line on our next gen 325 in order to run rotating grapples or a processor and it was $14K and change on a brand new machine.

  9. #9Shivan Dookeran2024-05-20 20:59

    Would thetc circuit from a larger machine like a 345b work or should I really do like cm1995 says and look for another machine I do Thank you for the responses I'm learning as I go along . One other scenario I've seen is the use of the bucket circuit to control the auger ,I know it's time consuming but it gets the job done.

  10. #10Shivan Dookeran2024-07-04 23:01

    Yes I think this is my way to go , thanks for all the info

  11. #11Welder Dave2024-07-05 00:04

    Bucket circuit might be an option but I think would be too high of flow. Could maybe use a flow control but that could create too much heat. Could talk to the dealer to figure out just what you have and the most cost effective solution.

  12. #12Shivan Dookeran2024-07-05 00:06

    Dealer down here charges almost 5 or 10 times normal prices, i kid you not, don't think we would use the auger so long for heat to be am issue, most times it's 1 or 2 holes 24in Dia 30ft depth . Thats like 1 hr max

  13. #13Welder Dave2024-07-05 00:13

    If your drilling heavy soil like clay making the hyd's. work harderccould create a lot of heat in a short time.

  14. #14Shivan Dookeran2024-07-05 00:16

    So what are my options ? I already have a 1way valve installed ,it's either I go with a brand called digga based in Iowa or some Chinese thatbsay they have the 2 way kit . Either way my local cat dealer has been of no help

  15. #15Welder Dave2024-07-05 02:19

    I'm not sure. You need to find someone with more hydraulic experience to help you figure out the best option.

  16. #16John Shipp2024-07-05 06:17

    I'm not a hydraulic expert, could a valve set-up be installed on the auger itself to reverse the one way supply to gain reverse flow? With solenoids and switch in cab.

  17. #17Shivan Dookeran2024-07-05 08:45

    This what the digga brand is telling me it can do