Who is the best or top three heavy machinery insurance companies? I am intersted to her your stories and yor advice
For a personal policy it was a nightmare for me. No one would do it without creating an extra policy which was out of my price range. I finally was able to get Allstate to add it for $100 or so per year. But it is capped at 20k which my machine is probably worth a few K more.
Thank you. Yeah our dozer is worth a fair amount, and we need liability, too
Throughout the years we've used - United Fire Group Auto Owners commercial Travelers Etc. Currently using Selective. Basically whichever carrier gives us the best quote when it's time for renewal. We may have 3 different carriers for GL, WC and Auto/inland marine depending on price for the year.
I really appreciate it. This has been a moving target. Most of the heavy machinery folks we have worked with in the past sent us to a small local brokerage, which apparently is no longer insuring new heavy machinery policies, other than standard one million dollar personal injury. A policy for knocked over power lines, falling off the lowboy in the middle of the highway, falling off a cliff, vandalism, that stuff, no, not any more. So this is helpful.
Another thought - It's not the carrier it's the local agent that's the most important part of the puzzle. A good local agent will shop all the carriers and get the best deal. Had a new guy cold call us out of the blue wanting to quote all our commercial insurance and we were like sure why not. New guy saved us $12K over our previous policy with the same coverage. He had a new carrier wanting to break into our market that was undercutting the competition to get a foothold. He told us they'll go back up next year but take the savings this year. Win, win.
I've had several contractors tell me its not the insurance company that matters as much as having a good independent agent that is familiar with the construction business.
well, finding a good independent agent who is familiar with the construction business seems to be also a challenge here
I've used Farm Bureau for all of my insurance for the past 10-15yrs, so far they have been pretty good. I have my commercial auto, general liability, and inland marine for the business with them as well as my personal auto, farm owners, umbrella, etc. As such we get some very good rates, never have had a claim so not sure on that end of it though.
As an independent mechanic finding insurance was a nightmare. I'm not exaggerating when I say that I've talked to hundreds of agents trying to find someone that new enough to find a company that would do it. I finally found an AWESOME agent in WA that was able to find it for me. I would give her a call and see if she can help you. Sarah Peace at Brayer insurance 360-424-3000
Insurance here got really expensive after all the forest fires (up by 3 fold in 12 years)…only can afford to insure our small machine now (Deere 50d) figure it is the easiest to steal! Going forward the fire risk may make insurance unaffordable. We have a really good insurance agent..but only so much she can do…
Third anniversary of the Lytton fire (46.9c). And today was Canada’s hot spot at 31c….
Thanks, guys. All the leads and recommendations are much appreciated. We tried with a local agent in Lock Haven PA, and that failed after a couple months. Still chasing down your leads