Heavy Equipment Forums Heavy Equipment Community

Best Hoe for my $$

Extendahoe ยท 2009-11-13 18:06

I know this is a stupid question, "but" I can't help it. I'm looking to buy a good used backhoe.. for farm use around the place, maybe use for hire hourly work in my area for extra money. If I'm looking to spend say $ 10,000 what can I expect to get for that? I realize there's lots of variables here. The Case 580 would be the one I'm most familuar with "ran this machine for several years". There's lots of models and series the C,D,E,L,M and so on but I've been away from equipment and operating for several years and I'm no mechanic, just wondering whats the major difference in the series of machines. Do I need to be looking at a different brand of hoe for the money I plan to spend? Whats considered alot of "hours" on a backhoe? Hope u-guys can shead so light my way... thanks.

Replies9
  1. #1tonka2009-11-14 10:00

    580l

  2. #2Extendahoe2009-11-14 11:24

    580 L I'll do a little research on that one.

  3. #3ottawamerc2009-11-14 11:35

    I also bought a 580SE for 12K in very good shape. Excellent machine for work around the house but as I was told by others be prepared to work on it alot! "they" were right I have changed lots of hoses and lines repaired cylinders etc. I still think it is worth it but only because I do the fixes myself thanks in a large part to all the talented folks on this web site!! I would recommend that if your not mechanicly inclined that you should get a newer machine. Good luck in your search :}

  4. #4AtlasRob2009-11-14 12:59

    Not a stupid question at all but it has been asked before Have a search in the BHL threads and I know you will come up with several threads with some very good feedback and comments on what people have found, bought, loved and hated. Main things to consider are what you are going to use it for, this will dictate if you really need 4x4, extendahoe, 4in1, forks etc. Sort that out then what experience do you have at spanner juggling to maintain it or will you require dealer support etc, etc. 1000 bucks in one part of the world will buy you quite a lot, in other places it will barely buy you a good meal

  5. #5Phil2009-11-15 07:07

    If you stay with Case, lots of used and aftermarket parts are out there. I think the 580C and D were similar, except for the cab. The engine changed in the E model to a Cummins, and the machine was highly thought of. The K was a major change in design. 4 wheel drives are not common before the K model. Phil

  6. #6tonka2009-11-15 09:57

    The K's were junk IMO, i love the L's and there is a ton of parts out there for them, again just IMO!

  7. #7willie592009-11-15 10:41

    580L is an excellent choice. But for Extenahoe to find an L for 10K, I doubt it would be in excellent shape. Nice L's typically go for around 20K +/-.

  8. #8JS580SL2009-11-15 18:23

    Like I have said many times I swear only by Case and Deere. I hear the E's were great machines as far as reliabilty but could'nt turn worth a dime. Ive run a few but nothing extensive. The early K's = junk. The newer K's decent. L's in my eyes were the and still are top dog. Only 3 things I see better on an M. Hyd. pump mounted on tranny, more comfortable cab, and smoother hydralics. L's are faster, quicker throttle response, and better built. Myself personally, I would go for a Super L or M regardless of what work is to be done with it. I run a 580M turbo, it does the job and pays it's dues but I miss being in a Super L or an M. The rear end is light on the M turbo, hyd. little slower, smaller boom, moves a little slower, and I have to think a little bit more on how I lift things with the back end. It's nature of the beast with a smaller machine though. I would look for a good shape E, newer K, or 96 or newer L. Im more familar with Case but Deere is right there with Case. Better in many ways to.

  9. #9Extendahoe2009-11-16 01:39

    This advise is much appreciated guys... I've taken the advise of some here already and begun to simple look at as many Hoe's as possible, hoping to learn a tid-bit more ech time. Thanks guys.