Hey Folks, This is probably a long shot and I'll probably take some heat for this but we have an old 1981 JCB 1550 with a Leyland engine that siezed up. I heard a rumor some where that a Perkins engine might fit it. Any truth to the rumor? If so, any details about which engine? Thanks for the time. It is much appreciated!!!! Chris
In 1986 that engine was replaced with a perkins .
I ran a 1550 years ago and it had a Perkins engine in it.I thought that it was a nice backhoe,slightly underpowered but a good performer.Ron G
Funny my coworker just looked at an older JCB with the leyland engine but was knocking bad from a screwup where they had done an oil change and one left the filter pipe plug loose and it blew out dumping the oil before they could shut it down. The dealer here said they could get parts for it. The owner claimed the JCB hydraulic power was superior to all other brands of that era????????
jcb1550 Is it the same as this?
The one I ran was very similar to that,take away 3 or 4 years perhaps.Ron G
The leyland engines were replaced by Perkins units in 1981. The leyland engine is a good engine and well worth doing up-I have had 3cx's with both. the reason the leyland was dropped was due to British Leyland shutting their tractot plant at Bathgate and therefore the engines were no longer availablle to JCB. Neil
Folks, First, thank you VERY much for all those that responded. This info was very helpful. Next, does any one know what Perkins engine would replace the Leyland motor I currently have in my 1981 JCB 1550? Thanks to all!
hi mate yes the 4236 perkins engine replaced the leyland engine you must make sure it has the casted bell houseing on it not a bolt on one and you will need a different mounting on the gearbox to the engine i have have done this not to a 3cx but to a jcb 520.4 swaped from leyland to perkins but you will need to have different steering pump as well to suit the perkins but it is quite an easy job as long as you have all the bits if it helps i got my bits from digger doctor uk just google it very helpfull and has probabley done what your trying to do good luck
Hey Lee, Thank you so much for taking the time to key in all this information. I really appreciate it! Hope you have a great week. Chris
Hey Folks, One more question. Where is a good place to go for engine rebuild parts for the 4.98 Leyland engine? Thanks again for everything!!!! Chris